New to RT

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Fabian
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Singapore

New to RT

Post by Fabian »

Hi all,

Test a 1100RT a long time ago.
Just bought a 2014 1200RT.
It’s much improved!!

But the roads are tight here in Singapore.
How’s the bike for lane splitting?
Fabian
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: New to RT

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the forum. Never owned a 1100 RT but i know a chap with a 1150RT in light green. Except for the front tyres cupping and the ABS, He loves the bike. He's owned it from new and has covered over 12000 miles. She says he likes the simplicity over the newer RTs.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

It is more of an open road bike. Lane splitting is not going to be a strong point. My RT is pretty wide and the handle bars are pretty close to car mirror height.
Last edited by Randyjaco on Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I live in Manchester and lane splitting is sometimes the only way to make any progress. I have city lids on my panniers which makes filtering between rows of slow traffic easier, but I have done it with the full size panniers too. You just need to be careful and willing to wait sometimes whilst a suitable gap appears especially if you come across someone who is intent on stopping you passing.
I would be very cautious about riding along the outside of traffic in the face of on coming traffic, its a bit bike and you need space to get back into the traffic queue.