Maxxis Tyres

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Maxxis Tyres

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pmThis is what they look like in the flesh (rubber).

Now fitted to a 2011 Camhead RT.

Image Image
Our Gee wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:34 amInteresting to note that they only required 10 grams rear and 5 grams front to balance.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Any wet/dry weather feedback?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chris Walker scratching the footrests on a Yamaha FJR.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Noticed KTM fit them to the Dukes as standard
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:20 pm Any wet/dry weather feedback?
Not yet, bike off the road until either 1st March or 1st April.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Sorry for the " First Ride" report delay. Taxing the bike for an April 1st ride was delayed due to an unexpected surgical procedure but as I'm now on the mend the RT was duly Taxed this morning and a hundred miles achieved in Dry but rather Cold weather. First impression, "Excellent". Really comfy ride, Tyres feel very compliant smoothing out the shockingly rough road surface of UK Roads. Tipping into bends is very neutral with lots of grip. managed to kiss the surface with my right boot toe on one decently surfaced Roundabout. So far no complaints.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Keep use updated
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

We now have about 1500 miles clocked up on the Maxxis and absolutely nothing but praise to report. There "is" the first sign of the rear starting to develop a centre line "flat" area but nothing alarming and in line with my previous Conti's. Only one trip has resulted in some Wet Weather riding and once again nothing alarming to report. I am running then at 34/40 psi as I don't travel with a pillion passenger these days and my long fully loaded trips down to Provence are no longer viable. I find that the slightly lower pressures helps a bit with the crappy road surface here in the UK. It is of course, still early days and I suppose the wear rate could suddenly fall off a cliff but if I can get Four to Five thousand miles from them that will be fine by me as my own experience has shown that all tyres are usually well past their best at such a mileage even though they may well be road "legal". Then of course the initial purchase price can't be ignored. At £160 a pair delivered, now listed at £165 although the rear is noted as out of stock at the moment at Tyre Tec Trading (Is that a good sign ?), plus £20 for fitting at a local Bike Garage they are looking like they do offer great value. There again, it's a well known fact that Tyres are very debatable subject and one man's meat is another mans poison.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Ive talked to 2 bikes Maxxis tyres had fitted. One was on a Versy 650. He liked them but only fitted them the week before. The other bike had Maxxis ST?, the ones with diamonds cut on to the egde of the tread. I gave up with this chap as i asked about the tyres and got a lecture on climate warming and how we can make the world a better place. Blaming the Rothchilds,Jews who run the planet. For sake man i only asked about your tyres. Why oh why do i always attract the nutters :cry: :roll:
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Your conversations with the other two "Bikes" doesn't seem to have given you the info that you require. As an experienced RT Rider I would have thought that my observations even at a relatively low mileage would have been of interest and perhaps generated some comment ?.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Latest price for the RT is now £152.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Our Gee wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:57 pm Your conversations with the other two "Bikes" doesn't seem to have given you the info that you require. As an experienced RT Rider I would have thought that my observations even at a relatively low mileage would have been of interest and perhaps generated some comment ?.
I’ll start the ball rolling then… Thank you for the write up of your experiences with the Maxxis tyres.

I’ve looked at them before but wondered about their longevity on our annual 4,000 mile trips, and the possibility of having to replace tyres en route. Currently I always fit new rubber for the journey.

A friend of mine once had to source a new back tyre on a Sunday during trip and lost two days as a result, this caused further ongoing problems with his hotel and ferry bookings. So being 2-up and loaded with full panniers I’m unlikely to change from my current 6GT’s, however if I were staying in the UK and running solo I’d give them a try.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Just back from my second ride out of this year. And guess what, two distinct occasions of "loss of traction". OK, the weather was cold at about 7 degrees and the road was wet with some loose surface degradation, but anyone who knows the B1257 in North Yorkshire will know that this normal.
Thing is, I wasn't "pushing on", in fact I was taking it very easy. That sudden sideways jerk when slightly off the vertical on a neutral throttle does tend to wake one up ! !. OK then, are the Maxxis starting to show their true colours or is it just me being slightly rusty after my" Winter "hibernation.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've heard that these tyres take a long time to wear in.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Maxxis replaced at 2350 miles. Not at all happy after a couple of wet slides. Replaced with Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE. In all fairness I can say that I never had any complaints with the Maxxis in "dry " weather. They did give a nice ride with plenty of grip. Incidentally, my chosen tyre fitter said he wouldn't have sold me them as they are Shxxx ! !.