GS or Rt

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Barneywallis

GS or Rt

Post by Barneywallis »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and would like some honest feedback please!! I have a 2014 GS LC and love it, however only having a 29 in inside leg I find i struggle when stopping even though I've got a low seat. Because I tour 2 up the suspension is always set for rider/ pillion which is what causes the problem.
Tomorrow I am trying an RT. I have owned 2 previous RT,s and 2 previous GSA,s and always struggled and ended up wasting loads of money changing for the same reason. I am worried that the RT might not be so versatile and " "flickable" as the GS . Ive bought with my heart and not my head in the past and it's getting too expensive !!!!

guest2360

Re: GS or Rt

Post by guest2360 »

Remember the RT has the GSA motor so it goes a bit better. I also have a 29in inside leg.  With the low seat fitted its only 760mm high and I have no problem with it. 2 up with luggage we run it on 1 up with luggage and its great. The whole bike seems to sit much lower than the old RT and weather protection is as good as it gets.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If it's any help, the guy who I went with to test ride the LC RT was, at the time, riding a Twin Cam GS Adventurer which was lowered etc.

He too was struggling when coming to a stop and lacked confidence, had also dropped his bike in an adverse camber situation and found it top heavy.

He rode the LC RT and immediately felt more comfortable on it, to that end, he has now ordered a LC RT.

IMO, motorcycling is about being confident in your head and with what you ride.

The width of the handlebars on a GS are considerably greater than on an RT, therefore, less effort is required to countersteer the bike, probably making it feel more "flickable".

Using a combination of countersteering and other techniques makes a bike manoeuvrable.

As above, the LC RT is lower than the previous Twin Cam model.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barneywallis

Post by Barneywallis »

Thanks for the quick replies,
You are telling me what I thought but it's nice to have it confirmed, it's a lot of money!!! It just goes to show how confidence can be lost just because of  being able to stop and start comfortably especially with luggage and pillion. I ride an RTP for a living and don't have a problem day to day but raising the suspension and fully laden changes a machine completely, something everyone should consider when buying a new bike don't you think? Thanks again for your support, looking forward to tomorrow even more!!

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If stopping & starting plus slow speed machine control is a concern, it may be worth considering looking at i2i Motorcycle Academy, http://www.i2imca.com/.

You'll be amazed at what you can do on 2 wheels, may consider keeping the GS you love & saving some money, just a thought.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Quote: If stopping & starting plus slow speed machine control is a concern, it may be worth considering looking at i2i Motorcycle Academy, http://www.i2imca.com/.

You'll be amazed at what you can do on 2 wheels, may consider keeping the GS you love & saving some money, just a thought.

I agree with Dayglodavid it is amazing what a day will achieve  at the above. I have been trying to fit in MCR2 but getting the time plus being in France does not make planning easy. I would highly recommend the course even for advanced riders of which there were several on the day I did mine and they all left with "big" learns from being there.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Advanced riding in the form of IAM, RoSPA or other, will offer Roadcraft Skills, whereas, the likes of i2i will offer Machine Control Skills.

Both skill sets can complement each other very well.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
weston

Post by weston »

You asked for opinions and advice, so here's mine:

I too have a 29" inseam and am totally comfortable on the RT with the low seat. The GS is just too problematic, especially if you find yourself in an awkward or panic situation and end up dropping the bike. It could hurt, it would undoubtedly be expensive, it would be humiliating to be seen doing it, and you'd lose enough confidence that you'd end up with the RT. 

Here in the US it's rare to see anyone with short inseam on a GS and this is why.
Bottom line: get the RT now and save all the pain and embarrassment.....my $.02

Weston
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There's also the advantage of panniers as standard amazing weather protection and an instrument panel to beat any.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Remember the RT has the GSA motor so it goes a bit better. I also have a 29in inside leg.  With the low seat fitted its only 760mm high and I have no problem with it. 2 up with luggage we run it on 1 up with luggage and its great. The whole bike seems to sit much lower than the old RT and weather protection is as good as it gets.
RTman10, on the Air Cooled RT's, what gives the lowest ride  setting then,  is it just `NORMAL'  and 1 x Rider
( helmet ).    and what  raises it to max -  two `helmet' symbols  + Luggage ?  :-\
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Soft, Normal or Sport settings are all damping settings and make no difference to height.  Just stiffness. It makes a difference to the way the  bike steers, much quicker on Sport but push on in Soft an it all gets a bit spongy on the bumpy stuff. One helmet gives you the lowest height but leave it there two up and again things get a bit spongy.  Just try sitting on the bike with it set on One up and then go up to the other two settings and you will feel the bike rise.  The difference in height change is much less on the 2014 bikes. Cant quite remember if the air cooled RT have the 3 damping setting as I had a 3 year break from them on 1600s.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Cant quite remember if the air cooled RT have the 3 damping setting.
Yes, with Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA, there are 3 damping settings, Comfort, Normal & Sport.

When adjusting the "Load Settings", I can feel the rear of the bike rise or lower accordingly.

With the "Damping", I'm never too sure if I can feel a great deal of difference.
I usually ride in "Sport" mode as I like the suspension to be firm, if the road surface gets bumpy, I switch to "Comfort".

Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now I remember. Thanks. Now renamed Soft, Normal and Hard.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunny2585

Post by bunny2585 »

Barney,

Go for the RT mate, I also had a 2013 Gs Lc which was slightly top heavy, I bought a 2014 RT and the difference is unbelievable. See you around.

Bunny2585 (TF)
Ride to Arrive, live long and Prosper.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: Advanced riding in the form of IAM, RoSPA or other, will offer Roadcraft Skills, whereas, the likes of i2i will offer Machine Control Skills.

Both skill sets can complement each other very well.

I'm an Observer with London Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM).  Whilst our focus is on roadcraft, we also organise a number of machine control days throughout the year.  I'm sure other groups do the same.