Is this driveshaft salvagable?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
lazynooblet
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Great Britain

Is this driveshaft salvagable?

Post by lazynooblet »

Hi forum, first post :)

I've had this R1200 (2015 R1200RT) for a few weeks now and I'm having much fun. Having been lurking on here for a while, I have read a few posts about the notorious rusting driveshaft so wanted to see what mine was like.

It looks like crap!

I'm worried now. Do I stop riding? Do I buy a new one (or a decent looking spare), or should I try and follow one of the YT guides and get some wire brush on it?

I expect I could take it apart and check if its notty or has some play, but if it looks beyond repair, I'll just prefer to get ordering a new one.

I was always planning on dealing with the bits of bubbling rust around the edges, I didn't even know you could pull this back and look into it.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Re: Is this driveshaft salvagable?

Post by Randyjaco »

I would remove the shaft and see if you have any binding in the universal joints. If they are smooth, you are good to go. I would put some spline lube on the splines and reassemble.
The U-joint bearings are factory sealed, so there is nothing to be done on them, unless they are binding. If they are, you are going to be investing on a new driveshaft. The surface rust on the shaft is no big deal, but you could wire brush it and paint with a rattle can.
When you remove the shaft, take care that the rear splines separate first. Reconnecting the front splines is a little fiddley. A steel welding rod can be formed to help support the front U-joint to better align the splines.
lazynooblet
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Great Britain

Post by lazynooblet »

Thanks for the advice, I'll get right on it this weekend :)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Drag it out and inspect it. If it feels smooth on all axis and no play, you are OK. Grease up the splines and the UJ's.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Wierpig
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Sorry mate but its knackered.The rust has probably siezed it to the final drive.It has cetainly compromised the seals for the yoke bearings and the bearings will fail soon with catastrophic results ( shaft through casing, rear wheel lock up). Needs a new shaft minimum. The sad thing is, if it was a GS, the snivelling scroats at BMW would cover it in their current "service measure"