DWA warning - help needed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

DWA warning - help needed

Post by ds99 »

2007 R1200RT

I have a "DWA" warning on the dash. This means the alarm backup batteries need replacing

They are in a little black box, underneath the rear rack

Can someone tell me how to access this so I can unscrew the screws on the box? It looks like the rear rack has to come off, but I can't get the bolts on the rack undone, they just keep turning, but not loosening. The nuts are not accessible, as they are inside the plastic of the rack

I've seen this

https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/201 ... ion-alarm/

But these two bolts, shown in this photo, will not undo

Can anyone help???
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: DWA warning - help needed

Post by sakm »

Does the top bit of the rack need to come off first?
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

sakm wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:29 pm Does the top bit of the rack need to come off first?
I was thinking that,it looks like it parts just above said bolts and then just maybe you tension the part while undoing it,if that makes sense.Possibly pulling the part away as you undo the bolts.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I have come across this. Once the inserts in the plastic start to spin you are very unlikely to get the bolts out. They will have corroded (dissimilar metals I think).

You can try applying some penetrating oil to it, but you dont want any to get to teh outside of the insert. Once the oil has soaked in you can try applying pressure by wedging a screwdriver in the gap between the rack and the biketo try and get the inserts to bite, but I would not hold out too much hope.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

hi, yes, looking at the comments on that webpage it looks like i am not aline and the bolts will not undo as the nuts are spinning, and they cannot be accessed at all

i will just leave it, i don't use the alarm anyway, but it seems like a pretty crap way to design it...
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Would a Jubilee clip tightened up around the plastic help to get more purchase to stop the nut spinning?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
ds99

Post by ds99 »

possibly. i'm fed up with it now, so i am just going to leave it. it will get added to all the other faults the bike has! (abs gone, fuel strip gone)