Footpeg removal problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
fallcitybob
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
United States of America

Footpeg removal problem

Post by fallcitybob »

Hi forum,
New to this forum, just acquired 2013 1200RT. I purchased lowered footpegs, and when attempting to remove the old ones, I found the main pivot pin would not budge. I removed the circlips and spring and insert that goes inside of spring. The pivot pin could not be moved at all. Not sure if there is some trick, or if it's just really stuck. Attempted to gently hammer it up and out, doesn't budge. I cannot rotate the pin inside of the footpeg either. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. I've added bike pic just because we all want to see the ride. Well, most of us anyway.
seems like photo's are sideways, I'll need to sort that out for the future. For now it will have to do.
Thanks!
bmwpeg.jpg
bmwpeg.jpg (151.11 KiB) Viewed 827 times
1200rt.jpg
1200rt.jpg (506.25 KiB) Viewed 827 times
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Footpeg removal problem

Post by David. »

Perhaps the problem is corrosion between two dissimilar metals. Probably a steel pin in an alloy footrest. How about removing the footrest plate, turning it upside down and applying some penetrating oil. If the footrest rubber is removed, some gentle heat may help too. Plus, the pin would then be driven down not up.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

I had the same issue when I fitted lowering pegs on my 16.The only way I could get it out was to put the hanger in a vice,support the back with some wood,spray some lubrication on it and knock it out with a drift.I tried to do it gently but gave it a big hit in the end and it then slid out.Upper most in my mind was cracking the hanger so I made sure it was well supported.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Following this thread, decided to do some preventative maintenance on my 2012 Camhead F&R footrest pins. Just used some penetrating oil (with graphite) and lubricated the pins/footrests. The pins move freely up and down within the footrest plate and footrests themselves.
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

If the lowering kit is the Wunderlich or typical Ali Express type then it consists of an additional cast block that is held in place by the original pivot pin, and the new casting has a new pivot pin.

Removing the new pivot pin should be straight forward and will release the peg and spring from the new casting. This is the pin shown in photo in original post and it does look in this case like corrosion

To remove the original pin that holds the new casting to the bike frame you have to first slacken off two grub screws that clamp the casting tightly against the frame to prevent rattling

You will see two small holes on the face of the casting and each has a grub screw. They are different sizes. One is 2 and the other 3mm Allen key size. If you don’t slacken these then the main pin will be jammed by this force.
Peg.jpg
Peg.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 54 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Just to chuck my pennies worth in. I've just fitted some Far East copies of a well known German brand of footrest lowering kit, and exactly the same issues with my '18 R1250RT. The pins were seized solid. What really should have been a half an hour swap turned into 2hrs of cursing & swearing. Bi-Metalic corrosions is well document. Come on BMW for the money we pay you can do better.

One other comment. Because the lowered peg stick out a bit further I've just had to order a Foot Brake Extender. Bloody expensive but, safety first I guess.