General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

WindShield Washers & Battery Strap

Post by Mac001 »

A quick couple of questions. Cleaning up my new to me R1250 2019 I took the screen off. It is the BMW original standard screen. I noticed that it looks like the previous owner has over tightened the screws as three of the holes have stress cracks 😳 so new screen incoming I guess. The question is are any plastic washers meant to be on any of the six screws? RealOEM shows six plastic washers but doesn’t show where they would go. Videos of screen changing do not show any.

Second quick one no rubber battery strap, the dealer fitted a new battery which I wasn’t expecting as well as new tyres, should I have a strap?

Thanks in advance.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Re: WindShield Washers & Battery Strap

Post by Elkinell »

Mac001 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:35 am A quick couple of questions. Cleaning up my new to me R1250 2019 I took the screen off. It is the BMW original standard screen. I noticed that it looks like the previous owner has over tightened the screws as three of the holes have stress cracks 😳 so new screen incoming I guess. The question is are any plastic washers meant to be on any of the six screws? RealOEM shows six plastic washers but doesn’t show where they would go. Videos of screen changing do not show any.

Second quick one no rubber battery strap, the dealer fitted a new battery which I wasn’t expecting as well as new tyres, should I have a strap?

Thanks in advance.
I fitted a Wunderlich screen yesterday that came with two plastic washers and two longer screws. I didn't use them but the bottom screw on the left wasn't long enough with the new screen which must be slightly thicker and I remembered that there were an assortment of small screws and washers in the paperwork folder given to me by the dealer, so I used one of them.As for the stress cracks I'd wait and see if they got longer but that's up to you.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a battery strap on my 2019 1250 and on all our fleet bikes, 2019 unto 2022.
Mac001
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

Thank you, I have ordered a battery strap as well as the missing pin and circlip. As suggested I will put the screen back on and see if the cracks grow. As it is a new to me bike I need to make sure the screen height is all good for me anyway. Cracking bike though and a light year from the R100RT which was the last RT I had many years ago. Cheers.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You need the plastic bit the strap goes onto as well if you haven't got it :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mac001 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:35 amThe screw holes have stress cracks.
I purchased a used Ztechnik windshield, the screw holes had cracks around them but the previous owner had drilled the end of the cracks to prevent them propagating any further.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I have owned two RT,s never had any washers on the windscreen, just held by bmw screws , you should have a plastic battery strap to hold the battery in place .
Mac001
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

Casbar wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm You need the plastic bit the strap goes onto as well if you haven't got it :)
Many Thanks. I grabbed a torch and can see that is still on the bike along with a peace of broken strap. I am guessing that the dealer mechanic, who put in the new battery, snapped the strap but didn’t have time to order a new one in before I picked up the bike. I cannot complain as they also fitted new tyres, which I hadn’t asked for, and these are Michelin Road 6 GT.