Pannier modification

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
SweRT

Pannier modification

Post by SweRT »

Got an idea
Noted that use of the BMW OEM inner bags in the panniers leave a small but unused space behind the inner bags. To make life easier for two persons on one bike during a few weeks Europe tour it may be worth to take every opportunity to increase the storage space even for small stuff.
To make the use of this space easier I visited a department store with accessories for boats and caravans, bought two ordinary mesh pockets and spent a couple of hours in my garage
[attachimg=1]
With innerbag
[attachimg=2]
Unused space
[attachimg=3]
Installed mesh pocket
[attachimg=4]
(note, the green can is just garage props)
Attachments
04-w.jpg
03-w.jpg
02-w.jpg
01-w.jpg
Budman

Re: Pannier modification

Post by Budman »

Thats a great idea, I may velcro my tire plugger kit and small pump in one of those spaces. I had them in the tail section of my 2012 but there is no room in the 2014.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Smart idea.... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Budman wrote: Thats a great idea, I may velcro my tire plugger kit and small pump in one of those spaces. I had them in the tail section of my 2012 but there is no room in the 2014.

The mesh pockets are an excellent idea.

I used to velcro my rain suit behind the pannier liner on my Multistrada.  Only trouble was that the self-adhesive velcro would come unstuck because of the heat from the exhaust.  Wonder whether the same might happen on the RT?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Looking at the background of your garage/workshop you are a man with a plan SweRT. Mind you when the snow comes what else is there to do in Sweden? Oh yeah I know  :silence:
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Spencert231 wrote: Looking at the background of your garage/workshop you are a man with a plan SweRT. Mind you when the snow comes what else is there to do in Sweden? Oh yeah I know  :silence:
My plan a couple of years ago was to build a more useful garage for my other winter “projects”. Completed, with the result that the next summer I had to satisfy my wives long desire for a green house! Only some minor problem remains, how to synchronize the “season” for these hobbies and to avoid the green house to limit our shared interest in bike tours.
Yes, I spend some hours in the garage but we also like winter with all it has to offer. What else? You know! And if it's too boring we also usually come up with something  ;)
Pope

Post by Pope »

Thats a great idea and i'd bet you could make some money selling these as kits, because i'd buy one..

And I've been looking for a place to stash a few cans of Carlsberg.....If Carlsberg made bikes, it would be an RTLC......be[size=78%]  [/size]
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Pope wrote: Thats a great idea and i'd bet you could make some money selling these as kits, because i'd buy one..

I'd buy one too..

;D ;D
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

richardbd wrote:
I'd buy one too..

;D ;D
Me too definitely I have a Wunderlich bag and also feel there is space behind.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Thanks for your business proposals. Unfortunately I have no ambition to start any production but the idea is free for all. Velcro makes certainly also the job and have also seen some aftermarket inner bags with an extra external pocket that fits in the same space.
Speaking of unused space, my seat is always in the high position and I have no radio under the rear seat and see, some metal sheet and some tinkering, two additional storage spaces for small stuff
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
Attachments
DSCN1671-1.jpg
DSCN1654-1.jpg
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Brilliant idea from SweRT for the pannier mod. I was thinking of using velcro but that would mean putting a piece on everything that I thought I might carry.
A word with a good friend suggested these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Elastic ... uctDetails
There are a few different sizes and styles available but these look exactly (?) like SweRT's

Look the part. I just have to check the measurements.

^-^
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Managed to do something similar in the panniers of my 2014 RT.

Bought them from eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Map-Pocket-300mm-x-190mm-Clips-Car-Storage-/380925081028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58b0e775c4

Useful way of storing stuff, but can still fit helmet in the panniers.

Steve P
Attachments
pannier-pocket-3.jpg
pannier-pocket-2.jpg
pannier-pocket.jpg
Last edited by paynes1 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pope

Post by Pope »

barryj wrote: Brilliant idea from SweRT for the pannier mod. I was thinking of using velcro but that would mean putting a piece on everything that I thought I might carry.
A word with a good friend suggested these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Elastic-Storage-Magazine-inches/dp/B00DSON26Y/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_z#productDetails
There are a few different sizes and styles available but these look exactly (?) like SweRT's

Look the part. I just have to check the measurements.

^-^

Looks good. I'm gunna get me some of those....thanks
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Bullrack

Post by Bullrack »

Cool idea!
BULLRACK
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Bought the bits:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2xMedium-Elas ... 1513316647?
14" x 7" seems the size to fit. Managed to make a couple of brackets and it all came together quite nicely.Not sure whether to put a bead of black silicon along the bottom edge to stop it coming forwards.
Just need the can of ale now. LOL
Attachments
IMG-20150409-WA0000_resized.jpg