How Many Use A Camera When Riding

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Spencert231

How Many Use A Camera When Riding

Post by Spencert231 »

i was unsure if this was a topic for General Discussion and opted for accesories as its predominantly for use with the bike. I have just received mine this morning a Drift Ghost HD. I have a couple of questions for those who use an action camera and hopefully may answer some questions for those who are undecided:

1. Do you use the camera all the time you ride or only when travelling to exotic places?
2. Do you ride with it attached to the bike, rider or helmet and why?
3. Do you use any additional safety lanyard in case the attachment on the bike or helmet fails?
4. Was the camera a good buy or is it left at home the majority of the time?
5. Do you have any tips for a total beginner?

All comments gratefully received as long as they are constructive. Bytheway I got my camera for £149 from Action Cameras Ltd a saving of approximately £100 so will let you know if it was a bargain or a "pig in a pork".
:alas:
Pope

Re: How Many Use A Camera When Riding

Post by Pope »

I use a Drift Ghost HD attached to my Helmet, but only for certain special rides. Too much hassle to do on a daily basis.

I have also experimented with it fixed to the bike, but find best results fixed to the helmet.

Heres one i did on my Diavel  http://youtu.be/8jF5Hajyjs0?list=UUvOfJJ2LhRvYyJp5hKyMtiA

The adhesive helmet mount is totally secure, and i've tested it up 160mph with no problems.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Nice progressive riding and good filtering the Diaval looks like it moves quite well, but not keen on the bars, but hey to each their own nice of you to share the ride. Yeah the helmet position looks favourable, thanks
Budman

Post by Budman »

I have used a GOPro for a while. I use the suction cup mount on the left side of the bike on the fairing. Tried it on the windshield but there was too much vibration. I have not had any issues with it taking a tumble while attached to the side panel. I dont use it often, only for special rides. It is not difficult to use but I dont want to concentrate on the camera and want to pay attention to the ride itself.

We will likely take it out west but will use it sparingly.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Thanks Budman, being preoccupied whilst camera is on the bike could well be a distraction, thanks for the input.
Budman

Post by Budman »

My prayers go out to you and your fellow countrymen and women. Hopefully peace will return to your county soon.   
Mick c

Post by Mick c »

It's illigal and people are being fined in some states of Australia. They get us on a law that says nothing can extend a couple of mm past the surface of your helmet. The cops reciently had a blitz and issued numerous fines. I think the gov needed money
Mick C
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Budman wrote: My prayers go out to you and your fellow countrymen and women. Hopefully peace will return to your county soon. 

Are you on the right thread Budman?
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

Spencert231 wrote:
Are you on the right thread Budman?
It did have me scratching my head early is morning, I guess he is on about events in Paris but I don't think we even had a thread about it. Either way politics and religion don't particularly interest me and the last place I would look for those topics would be here. [emoji111]️
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
Budman

Post by Budman »

I simply noticed that you are from France and was expressing my thoughts about your safety and security. It was not meant as a political statement or anything but a comment about my thoughts as I was reading the forum as I was watching CNN.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I thought it was just a kindness.

Bud
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Budman wrote: I simply noticed that you are from France and was expressing my thoughts about your safety and security. It was not meant as a political statement or anything but a comment about my thoughts as I was reading the forum as I was watching CNN.
Sorry if I offended anyone. I thought it was just a kindness.
Bud
Hi Bud, don't worry,  personally,  I thought that was a very thoughtful and kind gesture on your part,  generally  there has been wide support shown throughout Europe for  France, at this  time.  ( However,  now `off the topic' )  -  Keep `posting' though,    :kacsint2:
Regards,  Steve
Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
THUMPER

Post by THUMPER »

Keep using your Drift and GoPro cameras at least once a month or they'll start developing problems, although theoretically they have no moving parts the circuits start to fail

I've had 2 DSLRs fail from lack of use, a Fuji and Sony, both left for about a year then put in new batteries/power pack and there's lines across the screen and various other faults, apparently leaving a digital camera is not good for it

I bought a GoPro Hero 3+ January last year, since when the ####ing thing has had to be replaced twice, the latest replacement has also stopped working, always the same fault, one day it won't switch on and the battery won't charge, even using a spare fully charged battery, to say the least I'm disappointed and having bought "all the bits I'd need", I'm substantially out of pocket, about £600

One of the other cameras I'd considered was the Sony AS30 HDR, I bought one as a backup in case the GoPro died again, which it has

The Sony is fixed to the crash bars on the off side of my F650GS giving a good view forward and the stabilising software is superb, the Ziess lens give excellent depth of field and personally I think the colour is better than the GoPro, downloaded straight from the camera

I tried helmet mounting but the wind noise was terrible and the helmet felt unstable

Here's a bit of video from Tintern Station to Chepstow riding alongside the Wye Valley

http://youtu.be/qlMbfo6XQgA

I tend to use it all the time as I've had some frightening SMIDSY incidents, the running costs are effectively nil and I love the GPS function for when I find a new road that I like but have only a vague idea of where I found it

The Sony IMHO is all you are going to be wanting from an action camera
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Thanks thumper for the information it will come in useful probably need to find an excuse to take the bike out with camera lol
NilTime

Post by NilTime »

Greetings
I use two of the Sony HDRAS30 cameras, which I have found to be of excellent quality. They are a big step up in image quality from the Oregon Scientific ATC9K that I had before. 
As stated previously in this thread, there is a crack down on attaching items like cameras to helmets here in Australia at the moment, so I have recently purchased a chest harness that I am yet to use. I am still experimenting on different mounting points of the bike, but I find that using the suction cup to attach it to the RHS fairing seems to give adequate results without too much shaking.  I use a safety line just for a bit of added security, which luckily has not been used.
Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XC_x33Mc60
I tend not to use the camera on an everyday basis, just on recreational rides.

Cheers,
Tony
THUMPER

Post by THUMPER »

Nil time.  I was just watching your video, flat around there, except for the road markings that could be the Central Valley in California

I think your software needs updating though, there's a blue dot rt of centre and 1/3 of the way up and the image is pixelating although that could be YouTube encoding

I think if you've got the camera the best thing to do is use it all the time, the memory cards are so cheap, even grade 10 ones are only £14 for a 32gb card or just leave it in and use the format function to clear the card