Peak District 25th June

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Peak District 25th June

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:28 pm The RT meet is usually the second weekend in July, that would be 12th, 13th & 14th in 2024, with the day ride out being on Saturday 13th.
Well bugger me, that's the same weekend as the ferret racing and whippet show. Already got mi tickets.

simbo wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:43 pm When you was a lad motorcyles were'nt invented! You used to go out on your Penny Farthings and camp in your mates back yard shoveling coal for your Grannies and playing with your Ferrets and Whippets. :lol:
I'll have you know, young man, that I had a 200cc Tiger Cub, hand painted in fetching shades of sky blue and maroon, and I used every one of the 10hp available. Would be a classic today. And I had to do racing bump starts. Try doing that with your Gelande Strasse with all the boxes attached. Don't think I'm envious for one moment.
Chris
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Don't want to hijack this thread being from the wrong demographic but am i the only southern softie not understanding what these monkey hangers are going on about ferrits and wippets and penny farthings and shoveling coal? Very perplexing!!!
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I would be up for a ride around the Peak District on the 25th June, it's approx 60 - 90 minutes from Telford to Castleton, I might even be able to persuade 3 Royal Enfield riders to join if allowed.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

BoB21 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:59 pm Don't want to hijack this thread being from the wrong demographic but am i the only southern softie not understanding what these monkey hangers are going on about ferrits and wippets and penny farthings and shoveling coal? Very perplexing!!!
Let me try to explain.

I made quite a reasonable comment about the light weight young Mancs being tired after their 2000 mile jolly around Germany. Didn't mention that this could take quite a while with the mandatory fag breaks every 10 miles. That aside, I went on to say that this would have been no serious challenge to me and my contemporaries back in our youth.
Simbo countered by alluding to my youth being a fair few years ago (no respecter of seniority), and to the fact that it was grim growing up in a pit village where everything centred around 'King coal' as they used to call it. Whippets were, and probably still are, the most popular breed of dog in said villages and along with the equally popular ferrets, and terriers of various types depending on area, were employed in probably the most popular pastime of hunting rabbits.
There is quite a bit of truth in what he says but is wrong in one area. The Penny Farthing bike came later and was invented after the Boxer engine which now sits in his much over-hyped Gelande Strasse. :)
Last edited by k9doc on Fri May 12, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Glenn wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:13 pm I would be up for a ride around the Peak District on the 25th June, it's approx 60 - 90 minutes from Telford to Castleton, I might even be able to persuade 3 Royal Enfield riders to join if allowed.
Hi Glen, I reckon if a Suzi is acceptable, then Royal Enfields will be a shoe in.

Not sure just yet where the ride on 25th will be starting from. However, if you're up for a Peak District jolly and this one starts up at the NMM, then I for one would be happy to accommodate on a separate occasion, possibly meeting up somewhere a bit further South.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

At the height of the fuel price crisis, the 'tight wad' Monkeys came up with this masterplan to get ahead of the curve. Didn't last long as they kept falling out as to who was going to steer.

Image Image

This later shot shows the boys at one of the mandatory pit stops discussing whether the latest 62 inch TFT screen would interfere with forward visibility and if so, was that a price worth paying for the latest tech.

Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Glenn wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:13 pm I would be up for a ride around the Peak District on the 25th June, it's approx 60 - 90 minutes from Telford to Castleton, "I might even be able to persuade 3 Royal Enfield riders to join if allowed".
They're allowed without doubt. The the question is, would they make it? :lol:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

The Himmi might struggle :-D but the 650's should be OK
k9doc
Great Britain

Re: Peak District 25th June 'Postponed'

Post by k9doc »

Right chaps I have found it difficult planning a decent Peak District ride starting and finishing at the NCMM. There are much better alternatives if anyone is keen to do a Peak District ride, so I'll save that for a later date and suggest an alternative event which will not prove disappointing. See new thread.

viewtopic.php?t=7164

Will be grateful if Admin will lock this thread now. Thanks.
Chris