New 1250 RT LE

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Lordwanswell
Bike Model and Year: BMW K1300GT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

New 1250 RT LE

Post by Lordwanswell »

Am now the proud owner of a brand new machine, first time I have a brand new bike for 50 years. Any running in tips?
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Re: New 1250 RT LE

Post by Elkinell »

Congratulations on your new bike! I have no tips other than what your manual will tell you. I have only had two brand new bikes and there were in the early 80's, strangely enough I found the rusted, dented tank from one of them in my dads shed a couple of weeks ago.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

I've just run mine in.

They are pretty quick bikes, so I found I had to use lower gears progressively to achieve higher revs to get it run in properly by around 600 miles when it went for it's first service.

For example (and the figures will not be exact, they are just examples)

I would be on the motorway and be using 3/4/5/6 gears while still doing 70/80mph so I could get it doing 5/6/7000 revs etc....... I slowly worked up to getting it red lining in the lower gears as the miles passed and I worked up to them doing this over several hundred miles on various roads. It's not great for it to do steady speeds while running in, so use the gears to vary it if you have to be on a motorway for example.

I think the first hundred miles I only went to about 3/4k revs, and then about another thousand on top of that ever 100 miles or so.

The whole point of running it in is to slowly get the engine running faster to wear off any crap still on the new components, and then do the first service to get rid of any of the crap which will now be in the oil/filter as well as check over things have not gotten loose etc.

This is what I do anyway, and it's never caused me an issue, with all my bikes never developing any kind of engine issues.

I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat :thumb:
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Don't leave it to chug along at low revs, its not a diesel vehicle. Vary the speed /revs acceleration and deceleration using the throttle control.
Enjoy the bike, they are much more fun over about 4000 rpm
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

A warm welcome to our site and congratulations on your new arrival. :-D
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.