driveshaft failure?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: driveshaft failure?

Post by Panman40 »

sakm wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:56 pm Stripped the rear on mine today!

The shaft still looked good and the UJ felt fine too

Small amount of water in the swingarm though :?

I think the rubber boot has had its day so I will replace that in good time
I’m glad I got a new rubber boot, the old one %( I say old but just 19 plate) did not fit well around the plastic insert like the new one. I also used the starbugs recommended bmw grease to seal it. It was dry inside my arm though. I’m tempted to pay for the one way vent that’s free to GS owners at a dealer…. 😮
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Panman40 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:49 pm I’m glad I got a new rubber boot, the old one %( I say old but just 19 plate) did not fit well around the plastic insert like the new one. I also used the starbugs recommended bmw grease to seal it. It was dry inside my arm though. I’m tempted to pay for the one way vent that’s free to GS owners at a dealer…. 😮
Yes mine doesn't fit well either

I had just washed the bike then stripped it and there was a bit of water in there! not a lot but enough

I also thought about the one way valve :?
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

sakm wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:51 pm Yes mine doesn't fit well either

I had just washed the bike then stripped it and there was a bit of water in there! not a lot but enough

I also thought about the one way valve :?
I might ask my bmw parts guy if I can buy the valve and fit it myself, I wouldn’t have an issue with drilling a hole in the arm and tapping a thread, although I believe there’s a template they use.

I’ve no doubt you have contacts for parts already but the parts guy from Cotswold bmw seems to give me a reasonable deal on bits n bobs, they van be a bit slow for callbacks but otherwise it’s my go to now!.

I was surprised I got the shaft back on the front shaft without acing to pull back the front boot :shock: . An awkward part for me is not really knowing 100% if the bottom 2 plastic lugs on the boot click home properly when you lift the final drive up whilst engaging the shaft on the spline…. 🤔
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The rubber plug valve thingy, just pushes in, there is no thread. A good tip is to put a bit of glue on them to keep it in, as they fall out.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Casbar wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:05 am The rubber plug valve thingy, just pushes in, there is no thread. A good tip is to put a bit of glue on them to keep it in, as they fall out.
Oh I see, sounds like maybe best to not fit it!. I’m guessing the part must be pennies :lol: