General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
vennie
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2010
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Maintenance and belly pan

Post by vennie »

So just had my first real experience of carrying out routine maintenance on my 2010 r1200rt. It seems to me that bmw have gone out of their way to make it difficult for the home mechanic. Good lord. Just taking the plastic off is a tribulation. Not to mention changing the final drive oil and those awful Torex heads.
I think the Honda is vastly superior in this regard. Few pins off come the fairings and most things are accessible. If I do have another bike, for this reason alone it is not going to be a bmw.
To add to my enjoyment I bought a Halfords pro tool kit guarantee for life. All the Torex drives kept breaking on me and to say Halfords was reluctant to replace would be an understatement. Took me 5 trips to the local store to get it sorted.
On a more positive note I also built and installed a belly pan for it. I think it fits well and does a great job. Pics below.
Belly pan 2
Belly pan 2
IMG_2465.jpeg (363.55 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Belly pan 1
Belly pan 1
IMG_2491.jpeg (363.3 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Maintenance and belly pan

Post by Steve398 »

vennie wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:52 pm To add to my enjoyment I bought a Halfords pro tool kit guarantee for life. All the Torex drives kept breaking on me and to say Halfords was reluctant to replace would be an understatement. Took me 5 trips to the local store to get it sorted.
That’s unfortunate Vennie, although I also broke the 3/8ths 50 torx from my Halfords Pro set and they replaced it immediately. I did notice that the one that broke was a hollow bore torx though, the replacement was solid.

Nice job on the belly pan, you’re obviously far more talented than me!