New Member in US

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Ron58
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2005
United States of America

New Member in US

Post by Ron58 »

Good afternoon from New Hampshire! I’ve had some experience with BMWs including 2 K1600GTLs, a K1200LT and an 2010RT. I just bought a used 2005 RT to replace the second K1600 because the wife is done riding after a nasty crash 11 years ago. I took a nine year hiatus myself and hoped I could get her back on too, but I digress. The current RT is fairly “experienced” in that it has about 62k miles on it, but it’s mechanically sound and clean as a whistle. Well, except for some deep scratches on the left bag cover. Otherwise the paint is perfect and shows no sign of its age. I’ll need to get the covers painted, it’s that bad.
I fully expect to have bought some maintenance work commensurate with the bikes age, but the price was right and I love to tinker. It runs well, pulls nicely, and rides straight and true with nary a rattle or clunk. Of course the GTL did leave me lacking in one area. The first ride out on the RT reminded me that ‘normal’ bikes must downshift sometimes! I really will miss those extra 50 ponies from that 1600 monster!
So I will be lurking for a little while I figure out what needs to be done first. In the meantime, the two questions I must ask are…what oil should I use, and what are the best tires? Just kidding…
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Re: New Member in US

Post by Randyjaco »

Welcome from Friendswood, TX. BTW: I was born in Laconia a long, long time ago ;)

Randy