Thousands of BMWs need fuel fix ?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
stelyn

Thousands of BMWs need fuel fix ?

Post by stelyn »

Hi All,  read the below article ( pasted ) from the MCN  Magazine, this will not affect later Bikes,  but some of us have the earlier models so worth being aware;  :whistle:

BMW GB will be writing to a wide range of owners of thousands of BMW motorcycles to inform them of a fix to potential cracks in fuel pump flanges which can cause fuel leaks.
BMW is anxious to point out this is not a matter for panic, there have been no safety issues related to this in the UK but the bikes affected include almost all built between 2005 and 2012, both boxer and four-cylinder models. Owners will either have the fix carried out for free at a BMW dealer at their request or at the next service.
The fault concerns more than 50,000 motorcycles in America alone which has issued a recall because the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) always does that for anything causing a fuel leak.

The fault covers 26,000 motorcycles in the UK to add to that number but it’s not classed as a recall over here; merely a ‘technical campaign’   

A statement by BMW reads: "BMW Motorrad is running a technical campaign with customer notification in the USA and Canada for models of the R and K series produced from January 1 2004 to April 2011.
"In the motorcycles concerned, small cracks may form in a flange on the fuel pump. In very rare cases, slight leaks can occur causing a smell of petrol or loss of a very small amount of fuel. 

"There will be a customer campaign in the UK in the near future and the processes are currently being put into place. BMW Motorrad rates this issue as not being critical to safety and no safety-related situations have occurred to date, or are anticipated in the future."

This is the MCN link;

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2014 ... -fuel-fix/
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Thousands of BMWs need fuel fix ?

Post by David. »

This is a copy of the letter I received from BMW for the 2010 bike, after I had part-ex'd it 2 weeks earlier.

Checked & the fault did not affect the new (used) 2012 bike, as confirmed by the VIN Number.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Thanks for that `DaygloDavid', mines a 2012, I'll wait to the end of this month and if no letter I'll chase up my Dealer.  Ta. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The letter was dated 14 October 2014, I just rang a Dealer and gave them the VIN No. of the new (used) 2012 bike.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Right so we both have  a `2012', which suggests mine will get done then, perhaps I should give them a ring on Monday, and also mention the switch issues,  thanks for the , heads up.    ^-^
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sorry, I may not have explained myself very clearly.

The letter refers to a 2010 bike which I no longer owned, the 2012 bike did not have the same potential problem.