First ride in over a year

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

First ride in over a year

Post by burridge01 »

Went out on the RT Friday,1st decent ride since me accident in May last year.Have to say i almost enjoyed every minute of it.
While I've been layed up I've bought various far Eastern bits n pieces, everything was good till Friday.Got a side stand enlarger that needed a little fettle to clear the lowered peg,all done no problem.

Was all good when I set off,up the box into 6th,then I come to the lights at the 25 and I can't go down the box,nothing,bugger.I kept the bike rolling and managed to get going from 15mph in 6th,the bike didn't like it. Up the slip,over to hard shoulder,get the thing off and carry on my way,thank feck I had tools on me.

Down to Canterbury, Folkestone, Hythe, Dymchurch and finally Dungeness.

This was a run to see if I will be capable of riding down to the Algarve in August and apart from not being able to get off the bike :lol: all was good.Just over 200 miles over 5 hours.Going to get another long day in just to be doubly sure I'm capable and work on the dismount :mrgreen:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 240 times
Great Britain

Re: First ride in over a year

Post by Doctor T »

Lovely view of the Dungeness power station. On long runs, i always stop at around 2 hours for a walk and a wee stop. Even for 15 minutes, it gets the blood running through your bum and legs. I've done 4/5 hour stints and up to 12 hours in one go but it wasn't enjoyable. These days i set my first stop before Paris. After that it 1/5- 2 hours then a 15-minute stop.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.