UK Screen swap?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
iJimbo
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT LE 2021
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

UK Screen swap?

Post by iJimbo »

Its a long shot but...I have recently purchased a 21 1250RT LE and love it except that as a 6 foot 2 man on a bike with the BMW OEM sport screen, I'm finding it noisier than I had hoped. I am told the large screen will solve my problems. Here's the ask - anyone out there with a comparable tall screen fancy swapping - your large or touring screen for my shorty?
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Re: UK Screen swap?

Post by jesim1 »

I'm not sure which one my bike came with, but I'm pretty sure it's too large to be a sports screen? I'm 6"1" and just bought this: BMW R1250RT 21-2022 (700mm)Clear Original Profile Flip/Tall SCREEN Powerbronze.

It's pretty good for the money, I ride with my seat on high and a sheepskin on it and it's just about high enough, if your a tad taller you may get a bit more turbulence, but it will depend on the make up of your body size wise.

It does pull you forward a touch at motorway speeds, and I think most are going to start doing that unless they have a vent in them, so I'm thinking of putting some holes in mine to alleviate this.

iJimbo
Great Britain

Post by iJimbo »

Thanks @jsim1, I've read good things about the PowerBronze and the price point is competitive too. The lead time on the order is too far out for me to guarantee getting it in 7 days which is my cut-off atm.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I too have just got the powerbronze screen and it's a little better than stock

I also have a wunderlich marathon screen which is like a barn door! And is for sale but wouldn't fit yours without drilling new holes
iJimbo
Great Britain

Post by iJimbo »

Thanks @sakm - I have a lead with Powerbronze who it turns out are a 40 min drive from my home (oh dear another reason for a ride!). They can't get me a clear touring screen in my timescale but, at their kind invitation, I'm going down there later to take a look at the tinted version. I was initially sceptical about the tint as with such a large screen I'm expecting to be looking thru it a lot so worry the tint will be an issue in low light. Will report back.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

iJimbo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:09 am Thanks @sakm - I have a lead with Powerbronze who it turns out are a 40 min drive from my home (oh dear another reason for a ride!). They can't get me a clear touring screen in my timescale but, at their kind invitation, I'm going down there later to take a look at the tinted version. I was initially sceptical about the tint as with such a large screen I'm expecting to be looking thru it a lot so worry the tint will be an issue in low light. Will report back.
I put a Wunderlich tinted screen on my 2014 as I couldn't get a clear one. As its bigger than the OE it reduced the noise level & buffeting. It's on my 2016 one now, I don't look through the screen so have no problem.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

I to have the Wunderlich tinted screen on my 16,no big issue and as its only a slight tint can see through it perfectly well.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

If you don't mind a light smoked screen 4 in stock 5 day delivery https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/collecti ... 50-rt-2021 or can be collect from Gainsborough Mon - Fri
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

iJimbo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:09 am Thanks @sakm - I have a lead with Powerbronze who it turns out are a 40 min drive from my home (oh dear another reason for a ride!). They can't get me a clear touring screen in my timescale but, at their kind invitation, I'm going down there later to take a look at the tinted version. I was initially sceptical about the tint as with such a large screen I'm expecting to be looking thru it a lot so worry the tint will be an issue in low light. Will report back.
Even at high position I seem to look over mine, I prefer a clear screen, but don't think a tint will hold you back ?
iJimbo
Great Britain

Post by iJimbo »

Thanks everyone. I called Powerbronze to check if they had stock not notified to website but alas not. But on the plus side, it turns out that they are an hours ride away from me via a very scenic route from Winchester to Littlehampton. They said I should come on down and check out the tint. Could I resist - no!

The invitation also allowed me to eyeball check the 675 vs 700mm screen offering. Although I arrived late and toward the end of a hot afternoon, Richard at Powerbronze had already laid out the two options and I quickly decided the tint wasn't an issue! After a quick exchange of funds Richard produced the torx needed to swap the OEM's clear 550mm for the tinted 675. I rode off with the new screen, leaving the original to be posted back to me. I can't thank the Powerbronze team enough, especially Richard for his help.

The ride back was great. This 657mm screen is, on full elevation, like a riot shield. It completely solves the turbulence I was experiencing at head and neck with the OEM 500mm screen - I am 6 foot 2 riding R1250RT with standard seat in high position. There's a little push on the top of the back at motorway speeds but nothing to complain about. Also I can get the air to come over the screen at exactly the right height to hit the vents on top of my Shark helmet. Happy days.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

jesim1 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:08 pm Even at high position I seem to look over mine, I prefer a clear screen, but don't think a tint will hold you back ?
The powerbronze on mine is actually half an inch smaller than the oe screen on mine in the fully upright position

I still look over it

I also had the tinted wunderlich marathon screen and it's OK looking through it it's not dark that you can't see
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Good service from PowerBronze.Quality analogy "like a riot shield " :lol: :lol:
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

Hi, are you still looking to swap? I have an RT that already has the sport screen, but my brother who has recently bought a new RT has the standard OEM screen but prefers mine, having swapped them over with him to try. I know he was looking to see if he could get one from BMW at some point, but sure he'd be interested if he hasn't already sorted it.