First sat nav on 2020 RT

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
kwadge
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

First sat nav on 2020 RT

Post by kwadge »

Hello all
I’ve recently purchased a 1250RT LE and I’m thinking of fitting sat nav but I’ve heard such horror stories about the nav6. So now looking at the Garmin Zumo XT but obviously need the conversion mount which I’ve read up on and it seems the 3DAM seems the best at present. I know that the nav6 could be locked in place by modifying the base plate and tapping into the central locking but my main question is “can you lock the unit in with the central locking or does it just lock the mounting plate”? I’m assuming you can’t fix the Garmin to the mounting plate.
I hope this all makes sense. The nav6 seems to have some advantages re. security but that’s no good if it fails to work.
Any thoughts, advice or information would be appreciated.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: First sat nav on 2020 RT

Post by Doctor T »

Hi can you introduce yourself before posting anymore in the Newbie section? We are a nosey lot
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Hi and welcome to the forum

The central locking add on simply stops the release button from being pressed

With the 3DAM mount it would still work but there is a gap between the zumo and the fairing surround which would allow fingers to get in and the zumo to be ripped off

Probably causing untold damage! I just remove the XT to stop this happening
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Nav5 is option but older tech depends on what you want it to do.
kwadge
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by kwadge »

Thanks for the reply.
Reading through the available detritus on the internet it would appear that the issues around the nav6 have been resolved and Garmin have rectified the issues of the screen jumping and freezing. I am leaning towards the nav6 with a locking plate wired into the central locking for security although I’ll probably still remove it if parked up. I can’t understand why BMW didn’t incorporate the sat nav lock into the central locking in the first place but the box with a duster in is locked. I’m not planning to tour Europe but planning some decent routes for rides out would be good. Thanks again.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Garmin have tried a couple of times to solve the issues with the Nav VI. The latest fix (updated Nav VI) up to yesterday hasn't yet been shipped. We have a Nav VI that is less than 6 months old that is ghosting and Garmin gave an estimate of 8 weeks to replace. So not sure if you can buy the latest fixed Nav VI yet.

I lost patience and fitted a Zumo XT to my 1250. Didn't bother with the 3d printed gizmo, I just bought 4 longer bolts and 4 spacers and mounted the XT holder in front of the Nav mount, and powered it with a lead that just plugs in where the Nav VI gets its power from. Security wise, the release for the XT is on the top of the device, which you can't actually press whilst it is mounted in the cowl, so you need something like a trim removal plastic tool to insert to release the Nav. Not secure enough to leave the Nav in the holder overnight, but stops the casual walk by thief. But no locking device is going to stop the determined thief, they will just be able to prise the Nav off, so I remove the XT for longer stops.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I've been using and XT & 3DAM combo on my 1250RT for over a year now. It looks OEM and just works. In terms of security, I don't bother, if some scrote wants the nav they'll just rip it off and I'll be left to deal with the damage as I doubt the insurance company pay out as it's an after market accessory. I just take it off (complete with the adaptor) and put in my top box or pannier.

The XT has a few 'by default' annoying features that need turning off (mostly bleep & pings) and loads of stuff I just don't use, but overall it's a good unit and I'm happy enough with it.
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Hi,

An other solution is your smartphone with GPSapplication as (for example) Cruiser and Wunderlinq.
After you will be free to choice the bes GPS application for you and with Cruiser no limitation of waypoint.
Look at here viewtopic.php?t=6721

;)