Heated Seat

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Dave Pitkethly
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Heated Seat

Post by Dave Pitkethly »

I have a 1250RT LE 2023 with the 719 seat upgrade (looks fab) and do not feel the heated seat facility works. It has been back to my local dealer at Sunderland UK twice where they report is because of the heavier upgraded seat! Just wondered if anyone else has experience on this matter?
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Re: Heated Seat

Post by jesim1 »

Only way to really check if it's working is pop a thermometer on it and see if its' actually heating up, but it does make sense what they say, although you would expect better from BMW :shock:
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I have had the BMW optional 'high' seat and it behaved exactly as you describe. I think the heating element is buried deeper in the thicker cushioning.

I also have a 'Wunderlich' high seat and the heating needs to be on the highest setting to actually be noticeable.
Dave Pitkethly
Great Britain

Post by Dave Pitkethly »

Thanks for your comments guys - I do think BMW sales should be aware of this and give the heads up when selling the option!
gixerjohn
Bike Model and Year: R1250TR 2023
Great Britain

Post by gixerjohn »

Agreed, I collected my new bike yesterday and with the high seat I could not feel any heating to be honest.
Lordwanswell
Bike Model and Year: BMW K1300GT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Lordwanswell »

I am not sure what seat I have on my 1250RT, bought new in May 23. However, I can barely feel the heat from the seat, even on the highest setting. I have just taken it back to the dealer and they say it is working fine!
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

This is an interesting article about how someone fixed their broken heated seat, but in relation to the above, the important bit is that it shows the construction and describes the heating element a being only below one layer of foam. The poster doesn't say how thick that foam was, but looking at the photos it can't be very thick. I'd also say it looks as if it would be relatively easy to peel off the element and reapply it should you want to have your seat customised.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/1 ... -r1200rtw/

As a side note. I have a standard height heated seat on my '18 R1250RT and on No.2 (of the 5 or 6 bars on the display) is usually warm enough for me.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I have the low seat as i have short legs. The seat warms up pretty well and keeps my cheeks toasty. On high for 15 mins and it either turned low or turned off. Same for the handlebar grips
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Dave Pitkethly
Great Britain

Post by Dave Pitkethly »

An update on my situation,
Local BMW technicians, x 3 visits, still say the seat heater is operational but due to me upgrading to the premium 719 heated seat and this having additional padding the heat element is unlikely to work!! I escalated my complaint to BMW CS who after some time have recently agreed to credit me for the seat plus a small inconvenience sum. All yet to be paid however.
To me this important matter should have been highlighted to me at point of sale.
For completeness the standard heated seat did work on my test ride and the upgrade premium 719 Brown heated seat is described as heated on their web site and my sales invoice!!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Dave Pitkethly wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:33 pm An update on my situation,
Local BMW technicians, x 3 visits, still say the seat heater is operational but due to me upgrading to the premium 719 heated seat and this having additional padding the heat element is unlikely to work!! I escalated my complaint to BMW CS who after some time have recently agreed to credit me for the seat plus a small inconvenience sum. All yet to be paid however.
To me this important matter should have been highlighted to me at point of sale.
For completeness the standard heated seat did work on my test ride and the upgrade premium 719 Brown heated seat is described as heated on their web site and my sales invoice!!
That's one question i would forget to ask or even think of asking.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Strange, I bought a used High standard bmw seat to try and the heating was hotter than my standard height seat!.