Zumo 660 and BMW Battery Charger

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Firenailer

Zumo 660 and BMW Battery Charger

Post by Firenailer »

I've finished the install of the Zumo using the plug down near the headstock, and everything seems to work fine. Only quirk is that when I roll it back into the garage and plug in the BMW Battery Charger, the Zumo powers up again ( with the key in the off position ).

On another site someone wrote that this is normal with the BMW Nav IV and the manual states that the GPS must be removed from the cradle when charging. He said his powered up the same way when he forgot.
Can anyone else verify this?

Thanks!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 660 and BMW Battery Charger

Post by David. »

Is the BMW Battery Charger plugged into an onboard Power Socket.

If so, it sounds like this action opens up (makes live), the plug near the headstock for the GPS & the Power Socket itself.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its definitely not normal.  When you stop and turn off your ignition do you get a notice  on the Zumo acreen telling you you have lost external power?  Also how have you wired the Zumo to the bike, did you cut off the plug or get the correct female socket? I am not sure from your description if you have connected the Zumo to the dedicate plug for it that is located under the headlight.       
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Yes - I've used the correct BMW Plug behind the headlight. I've connected the Zumo to the correct "repair" plug in using waterproof crimps on the 1&3 wires with additional shrink wrap over those, no plugs were cut off. I've used the bmw plugs on both sides to make the connection.

when shutting down the Garmin shows the screen saying the unit has lost external power. Everything works as it should except for the charging situation. For some reason when plugging in to the on board socket the accessory port is activating.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Zumo connection sounds perfect.  If you are using the accessory socket to plug in the charger, and you have one try the back one.  alternatively just take it off.  It shouldn't make any difference but it might just be because its a 660 and not a NavIV/V. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:Everything works as it should except for the charging situation. For some reason when plugging in to the on board socket the accessory port is activating.
Looking at a Haynes Manual Wiring diagram, both Onboard sockets share the same "Switched Live" (red & green wire).

The Optional extras socket (GPS) shares an earth (brown wire) with the Onboard sockets.

All the other wires go through the ZFE central electronics unit.

They may be connected in some way.

With the "Repair" Plug is disconnected, (removing any mods. you have done), can you check for voltage on the socket near the headstock,
with/without the battery charger connected & the ignition off.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I took a look at that schematic and I see the common ground. I called the Dealer Service Dept. This morning and they thought that as long as it was powering on and off properly with the key the install was good.

I explained that the charge cycle worked normally when the 660 head was out of the cradle - quick cycle up to 100% then maintenance mode, pause and sleep mode.

They also said that they had reports of guys installed additional lighting reporting the same behavior when plugging the charger into the onboard sockets ( lights going on).

They thought either removing the 660 from the cradle when putting the bike on the charger or charging direct to the battery was the answer. ( I did connect my battery tender jr to a fused SAE pigtail I've got connected to the battery for my heated gear and air pump and that also charged normally with the 660 in the cradle)

I think that the shared ground must be the answer here. I wish I could find where that guy found the directive to remove the Nav IV from the cradle when charging though.

Thanks for the help guys, this really is a terrific site for the RT!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Interesting that the Dealer suggests charging directly to the battery, (it's what I do without any problems), however, not recommended in the Rider's Manual.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

David,

What they said was " the install sounds fine and we've seen that before, we'd recommend removing it from the cradle when putting the bike on the charger, or completely off the record you'll be fine going straight through the pigtail".

I think that means that if I do fry something ...I'm on my own. I'll just pull it from the cradle for now.

Thanks for your help!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For many years on all the various models of BMW chargers I have always gone directly to the battery. I used an Optimate connection cable with a BMW accessory socket wired on it.  I never disconnected the battery  and over the last 15 years have never had a flat battery or had the need to replace one. On my present LC though I have the latest BMW charger and this works perfectly via the front accessory socket.   
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Battery Charger:- http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... ronic.html

"BMW battery charger even for CAN bus electronic

Genuine battery charger for all motorbikes even the new BMW bikes with CAN bus electronic like the R1200GS, R1200GS Adv., HP2, R1200ST, R1200RT, R1200S, R1200R, K1200S, K1200R, K1200GT, K1300S, K1300R, K1300GT, F800R, F800S and F800ST.

It is easy to use, just plug the connector into the on board socket and charging will be automatically done. This is the only charger that works with CAN bus systems over the on board socket.

If your bike does not have a BMW socket, you can use the adapter cable to charge the battery directly."
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:This is the only charger that works with CAN bus systems over the on board socket.
Oh no it isn't, Optimate 4 Dual Program:- http://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate%204%20dual.htm

"With OptiMate 4 Dual Program you can now either charge the battery direct, or select the program to charge via the 12V port on CAN-bus equipped BMW motorcycles (using either the optional O2 or O9 accessory plug lead)."
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Remember LC owners, your bike is not Canbus but Linbus.  Not quite sure of the technical difference but I for sure wouldn't plug anything into it that wasn't specifically recommended by the manufacturer.       
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having spoken to Optimate (Technical Dept.), they have recommended the Optimate 4 Dual Program for my 2012 Twin Cam. (I currently have a Datatool Charger).

They have also given me the confidence & reassurance that charging directly to the battery is OK & said, "charging this way does not open or interfere with the CAN-Bus system on the bike."

I'm sure a call to a local friendly BMW Dealer will confirm if the same can be said for LC Models with the LIN-Bus system.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Of course Optimate would, they want you to buy their kit.  BMW batteries cost over £100. In my humble opinion its not worth trying to save a few quid on a charger to look after such expensive components. Go back a few years when gel batteries first appeared Optimate make a big claim their chargers were compatible with these batteries.  Its only when you read the very small small print you discovered they were talking about backup batteries in things like alarms, not starter batteries. Iv never trusted them since.