Oil filters and oil weight

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil filters and oil weight

Post by Doctor T »

milleplod wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:11 pm Re the 15w50 spec, I've just bought  Smith and Allan's 'own brew' fully synthetic, at £24.00 delivered for 5 ltrs - it meets the API spec as well as the JASO MA2 one (although I believe that's a wet-clutch spec, so not really relevant to my 1200RT). Couple that with my '3 Mahle filters for fifteen quid' find, and that's a nice price for an oil service. I also bought their own GL5-spec gear oil.

They've been in the business for over 80 years, and have exceptionally good customer support - I've called them a couple of times for advice, and got to speak to someone who obviously knew lubricants inside out. Highly recommended!
https://www.smithandallan.com/

Pete
Been using Smith & Allen oil for years without any problems. Their customer service is second to none. I use their oil in my 07 engine and gearbox
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

I recently changed the oil on my 1250 from Castrol power 1 racing 5w/40 to the recommendation bmw/ shell 5w/40 , same viscosity I know but I’m pretty sure gear changes were slightly smoother on the Castrol. If I’m not paying full attention some changes can be a little crunchy. I’ll be going back to Castrol next time.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Friday is service day. Received a 10% discount from Smith & Allen making a 5ltr bottle just £27.00 of full synthetic oil. Hi-flow filter for £9.99. Gearbox and final drive oil i already have in the garage.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.