Foot pegs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lostinAZ
Bike Model and Year: 2009 BMW R1200RT
Has liked: 3 times
United States of America

Foot pegs

Post by lostinAZ »

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. I just picked up a 2009 R1200RT in great condition. My problem is the foot pegs are way to short for my size 15 boot. I have searched Google and all I can find is lowered pegs. Does anyone know where I can get wider pegs? Thanks
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 240 times
Great Britain

Re: Foot pegs

Post by Doctor T »

A warm welcome. I've moved your question to the General discussion section for a better response.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
tag2501
Bike Model and Year: fjr1300 2006
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by tag2501 »

check out Wunderlich and Illium Works. both make extenders for brake and shift levers. Not sure ive seen anyone making extenders for the basic foot pegs
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 61 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Lower foot pegs also push the hinge of the footrest out by about an inch which combined with the lower position personally I find much more comfortable. The downside is you've got to move your foot more to use the controls. With the gear lever this doesn't seem to be a problem, but I never felt the brake lever was in the right place and ended up buying an enlarger. Mine is a '18 R1250RT but looking at the photos of the kits available for a '12 1200, they seem to use the same offset design so I think the wide bit still applies.

The footrest lowering kit I used I bought off Amazon UK for £50.00 Being blunt, it's every bit as good as the one made by that well known German manufacturer. I'm sure Amazon USA will have the same thing available.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I agree with those comments about the foot peg lowering kits. I was looking today at a way of shortening the foot pegs neatly because they keep banging my ankles every time I stop.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I couldn't find any shorter pegs that would do the trick and am shocked at the cost of secondhand ones. Far too expensive to play around cutting them down. I removed the "hero blobs" today which makes it decidedly less uncomfortable every time they scrape the back of my legs.