Return to BMW

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Loopers
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLe 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Return to BMW

Post by Loopers »

Hi, I've finally got round to opening my account. I have returned to BMW after approx 10 years away from the marque. I purchased a New R1250RT at the end of July this year and unfortunately only managed to clock up 330 miles so far as unable to get the first service until middle of Sept.
I strayed away for BMW in 2014 after a very disappointing ownership of a 2004 R1150RT which proved to be very unreliable compared to my previous K1100LT and K100LT, I ended up with a Honda ST1300 which to be fair is a great bike and excellent tourer but realised in July whilst on tour was that it had become too heavy for me to manoeuvre around due to arthritis. The RT is superb and now I'm getting the benefit of a lighter and easier to move around big tourer.
Looking forward to reading through the forum and benefitting from the wealth of knowledge that always exists on these owners forums.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Return to BMW

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the group
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Hi Loopers and welcome aboard,
I made the same decision at the start of lockdown because of the substantial weight difference, and also the RT has all the touring bells and whistles that the Pan lacked.
However, my running mate has both (greedy beggar) and still prefers the ST as a pure touring bike, and in many respects I tend to agree, but for me it was age and injuries that dictated the change.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

No shame in admitting a lighter bike makes life easier. I was at the same stage with my K1600 that I'd had for seven years. I got a R1250RT as a loan bike last xmas but they didn't have one without the fancy screen and keyless ignition for sale but when a 20 plate came up in Febuary this year with good old clocks and one of those old fashioned key thingies I went for it. It has all the bells and whistles of the big K but none of the weight.