ULEZ

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

ULEZ

Post by Doctor T »

Although i have no desire to visit London again, the Last time i was in London was when the Greater London Council was in charge. I thought just in case i go for a ride out and end up in the restricted area which is getting further spread out, if i would have to pay. To be honest i don't really want to see the inlaws more than i do.
So six months ago i checked to see if my 07 RT complied with the ULEZ and it didn't :-D , TFL wanted me to pay each time. Yesterday i tried again and to my disamazement, it now complies :evil:. Bit confused with this, i did some research. It seems that someone needs to pass an emission test on the same bike you own. These testing centers are mostly within the catchment area. So you have to first pay to ride to these centers(within the ULEZ area) Then pay upwards of a hundred pounds for the test. It only takes one person's bike to pass the emission test to allow every bike of the same year and model to go on the "friendly list".
So thank you to the person who paid out of their own pocket to get their bike to pass the test. I am now allowed to go within the ULEZ free of charge. I wonder if the person who did not only pay out of their own money to get his/her bike to pass but also paid for all the other owners of 2007 R1200RT bikes.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Re: ULEZ

Post by SimonD »

They certainly weren't doing that in the past. Even if you could provide a Certificate of Conformity that confirmed the NOx emissions when new they were only granting exemptions on an individual bike by bike basis. I'm going to get my '96 Buell tested soon as I'm inside the new zone. It's worth a try as the place in Deptford is testing on a no pass no fee basis.
The bike is Sorn'd at the moment so it is an extra £12.50 to get it MOT'd and another £12.50 to get it tested + £175 if it passes.