Cross spoke rims on an RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Wine Country RT
Bike Model and Year: 2006 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Cross spoke rims on an RT?

Post by Wine Country RT »

Just throwing this out there! Has anyone installed cross spoke wheels on an RT? I really like the look of the cross spoke and if anyone on the forum has done so please post details and pics!
Thanks,
:-D
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Cross spoke rims on an RT?

Post by simbo »

I know the opposite conversion has been done. Someone on the GS Facebook page swapped the wheels of an R model with a 17" front wheel onto A GS to replace the standard 19" front to I improve handling. I've never seen anyone put a 19" front on an RT to improve off road ability though? I'm sure it could be done though.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Wine Country RT
United States of America

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking more along the lines of a 17" cross spoke on the front rather than the 19". I've seen cross spokes on an R9T, looks awesome! A little more research on my part I think.
:thumb:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Only problem i can see apart from respoking the front from 19" to 17" is the rear hub. Not sure if they marry up. The best bet is a rear wheel from the same year GS. It would look differant but years of owning bikes with spoked wheels and the pain of keeping them clean, i prefer alloys these days
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Wine Country RT
United States of America

Well......from the research I've done, the rear will fit with no issue, the front cross spoke hub laced to a 17" rim will not work due to the calipers hitting the spokes, however.....the rims from a 2014 R9T will fit because they are not cross spoke like on the GS, the rims have the spokes near the center, allowing clearance for the calipers. The beauty of the Cross spoke is it's tubeless and just looks great! Going to a "Center Spoked" would require a tube, long story short, I think I will stay with the cast alloy wheels. Thanks for the feedback all, ride safe!