Zumo 660 and BMW Battery Charger

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 660 and BMW Battery Charger

Post by David. »

My Datatool Charger has served me well since 2004 & continues to do so, for Lead-Acid & GEL Batteries on both my bikes plus a car.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I've been using the BMW charger that David linked to since purchasing this '12 RT new.

In the past I've either used the older BMW units ( rebadged battery tender plus) or the Harley Davidson rebadged battery tender jr straight to the battery ( on a SuperGlide ).

I've never had battery issues and usually changed them at the 7 or 8 year point just because it was a cheap way to insure problem free starts when touring, even though they still load tested fine.

On the '12 - even running the charger every time it's in the garage, the first battery was gone in just over 3 years. ( without any added aftermarket accessories ). Hopefully it was just a bad battery.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Now you come to mention it, I too have had a BMW Battery fail on my 2010 Bike after just over 3.5 years, it happens.

It was OK one day after riding over 300 miles, stopping & starting, then completely dead the next day.

I was recovered to a BMW Dealer & a new Battery was fitted, they made no comment about the charging lead bolted to the Battery & attached it to the new one.

The new Battery was less than 6 months old when I changed the Bike for the 2012 Model, therefore had it transferred to the new (used) Bike.

The Bike has now been stood for over 3 months, it's not likely to be fired up for another 2 or 3 months, it will be interesting to see what happens when I hit the start button.
(Have had the previous bike stood for up to 5 months without any problems when starting).
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:For many years on all the various models of BMW chargers I have always gone directly to the battery. I used an Optimate connection cable with a BMW accessory socket wired on it.  I never disconnected the battery  and over the last 15 years have never had a flat battery or had the need to replace one. On my present LC though I have the latest BMW charger and this works perfectly via the front accessory socket.
Looking at the respective BMW Rider's Manual for the Twin Cam & LC RT's, there has been a change in the type of Battery fitted.

The Twin Cam has a GEL Battery & the LC an AGM type Battery, it is possible that they may have different charging characteristics & therefore require different chargers.

There again, it could just be the change from CAN-Bus to LIN-Bus Electrics.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think its a change in the electrics.  AGM batteries have been in use since 2004 on  the 1200GS. The latest charger is the only one now available and is compatible with all bikes. On early bikes (pre 2004) you need to connect directly to the battery.   
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Now you come to mention it, I too have had a BMW Battery fail on my 2010 Bike after just over 3.5 years, it happens.

Oddly enough - That's exactly what the Service Desk said!

Mine went the same way, I was out on a daylong group ride and everything went fine. Starting and stopping along the way seemed normal.

Next day it was a slow cranking no go. Finally jumped it and rode up to the Dealer to pick up a new one.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Sounds like a batch of `dodgy' batteries for that period  or do they only last on average 3 years?    :not:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Battery life is probably unpredictable, 3(+/-) years could well be an average lifespan.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think their life very much depends on use. A bike used every week throughout the year you can expect 3, 4 or even 5 years. In a former life when I sold them there was always a rush early in the year. Bikes would  be put away in October and plugged in. Come Feb/March the battery is knackered. I know lots leave then on all winter because the charger box says you can but I know it kills many.  Plug them in for 2 or 3 days and off for 2 weeks is all that's needed.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Part No. for the Battery I purchased was 61 21 2 346 800 & costs £136, looking at the invoice, the Dealer gave me 10% off, (before VAT), but still came out at £122.41.

The battery is an Exide, it looks the same as this one from Motorworks for £69.00. http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 5_30_IA_10

BMW Gel battery original equipment 19amp/hr | ELA59014
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

I do tend to leave mine on the Optimate `4' when garaged ( its wired direct to Battery )  as  per `Optimates'  own recommendations.    Weather permitting  I'm out on the Bike  nearly every day more or less and have never had a problem with the Battery starting on this or previous Bikes.  Must admit I've never heard of a reputable modern day Charger frying a Battery ?.    :not:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stelyn wrote: I do tend to leave mine on the Optimate `4' when garaged ( its wired direct to Battery )  as  per `Optimates'  own recommendations.    Weather permitting  I'm out on the Bike  nearly every day more or less and have never had a problem with the Battery starting on this or previous Bikes.  Must admit I've never heard of a reputable modern day Charger frying a Battery ?.    :not:
I don't think they get fried, its more a case of forever being topped up but never worked that does them in.  Let it run down a bit followed by a good strong charge is much better for a longer life.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: The Part No. for the Battery I purchased was 61 21 2 346 800 & costs £136, looking at the invoice, the Dealer gave me 10% off, (before VAT), but still came out at £122.41.

The battery is an Exide, it looks the same as this one from Motorworks for £69.00. http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 5_30_IA_10

BMW Gel battery original equipment 19amp/hr | ELA59014
That is the current part number for all pre 2014 RTs.  Battery looks the same on the Motorworks site but the label is different. Bet it doesn't come with a 2 year warranty though   
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: I don't think they get fried, its more a case of forever being topped up but never worked that does them in.  Let it run down a bit followed by a good strong charge is much better for a longer life.
Sounds feasible RTman10,  so okay I'm going to give that a go.        ^-^
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:That is the current part number for all pre 2014 RTs.  Battery looks the same on the Motorworks site but the label is different. Bet it doesn't come with a 2 year warranty though
Does the 2 year Warranty apply to all Batteries purchased, or just those fitted to New Bikes.

Interestingly, the Used Bike Warranty does not cover Batteries.