BMW's "Stop Sales" order in North America

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
georgiarcoach
Bike Model and Year: 2018 R1200ŔT
United States of America

BMW's "Stop Sales" order in North America

Post by georgiarcoach »

Dont you wonder how much less expensive it could really be for BMW to produce a line of bikes that meet the current Euro standard for emissions and another separate line that is designed to meet the N.A. standards? What if they simply made them all to the Euro standard and shipped them out?

I admittedly am ignorant of any other differences that might cause European standard bikes not be N.A. or U.S. compliant (e.g., autos have to have reinforced beams in doors, etc.) but it makes one wonder doesn't it?

Not sure how many dealers of BMW are NOT multi line, but for those that are, they may not survive this even if its short lived.

Having worked in supply chain management, its hard for me to believe that supplier contracts with Product Change Notification clauses in them (surely BMW is astute enough to have these, right?) would not have caught this unless this problem goes way, way back and was never tested/verified by BMW to begin with.

My nomination for the BONER OF THE YEAR AWARD IS: BMW MOTORRAD USA
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW's "Stop Sales" order in North America

Post by Casbar »

Saw on another forum the delivery of R1250RS are delayed from the Factory in Germany due to a quality issue. Possibly connected
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: BMW's "Stop Sales" order in North America

Post by TJRL »

I agree, in today's global economy build one bike to the toughest standard and sell it worldwide.

We just move to the USA from the UK for two years and because I like my 2020 R1250RT dials and dislike the current RT's TFT (a lot) I have brought my bike with me. But I can only use it here for a year and then have to send it back to the UK because Euro bikes do not meet USA emission regs :? - Really?

Euro bikes cannot be imported into the USA unless they are over 25 years old or converted to meet USA emission regulations.

Where is the globalisation when you need it?!!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.