Hello from Lincolnshire

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
wily_coyote
Bike Model and Year: RT LE 2010
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Hello from Lincolnshire

Post by wily_coyote »

Hello.

Earlier in the summer, She Who (thinks she) Must Be Obeyed, asked me if I missed bikes....

I let my last bike (ZZR1400) go after moving to Lincolnshire from NW Scotland where the biggest problem on the roads were sheep, tourists and the occasional coo. Lincolnshire was a culture shock - I thought every other motorist was out to get me and tractor drivers all have a death wish - yours. Prior to this I'd owned an FJR1300, A few CBR1000xx's and a plethora of other odds and ends on the way. My first bike as a spotty youth was a Honda CB250. Back in the 90's (with a Fireblade) I took my advanced test and got involved with the local IAM group - good guys with a 'progressive' attitude towards how to ride safely.

So having developed some sort of understanding Lincolnshire roads and farm machinery the size of a small bungalow, my equal other's question made me curious. Which is usually dangerous.

Anyway, left alone to my own devices for a few days, I somehow managed to buy a K1300rs. It's a 2020 model, but in nice nick. I didn't pay a lot for it and it was a bit of an experiment to see if I should really dismiss the idea of bikes or not. The result is, I love it. A few miles down the road and it all came back. My rationale was, 'buy an old bike and do it up over the winter'.

Well, rollocks to that, because unless the roads are caked in salt, I want to be out on the King's Highway (or does it now belong to Rishi?) all year round. SWMBO is a willing co-pilot (warning: never use the question, "do you leathers still fit you"....) so something that was less of a guided missile and with a few more creature comforts seemed appealing.

Now 'into' the quirkiness of BMW, I chatted to guys in the local m/c group, read blogs and reviews, looked at adverts, chatted to mates and.... tomorrow I head for some hitherto uncharted place called 'Alesbury' to pick up a 2010 RT LE. The first part of my adventure will involve 'public transport' which I believe can be highly unreliable and is full of other people, but then I can get acquainted with my new machine as we dodge eastern european van drivers and VW Polo's driven by students on the A1.

If I survive the experience, I'll let you know how it goes and my first impressions.
Honda CB250N
Honda VFR 770
Suzuki RF600
Suzuki RF900
Honda CBR900
Honda CBR1000xx
Triumph Daytona
Honda CBR 1000xx
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki ZZR1400
BMW K1200RS
BMW R1200RT
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 402 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Lincolnshire

Post by sakm »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Great introduction :thumb:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Lincolnshire roads sounds just like Selsey. If the Tractors doesn't get you the tourists will.
Welcome to the site
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
wily_coyote
Bike Model and Year: RT LE 2010
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Lincolnshire -part 2

Post by wily_coyote »

.....Survived the public transport experience and was collected from the station by James, who very obligingly made tea and let me look over the bike and associated paperwork. He'd owned the bike for just over two years and used it for his daily commute into the City - as he's recently taken on a new role within walking distance of his home, has a young family and a house that looks like a building site, the bike was destined to be moved on.

With just over 30k miles on it, James was responsible for the last 20k. So, a 2010 model having covered 10k miles up until 2021, then daily use up until recently. Service book and lots of receipts present, last service August this year. Plastics all in good order (luggage almost unmarked), seats OK, started on the button. There's quite a bit of corrosion on the footpeg carriers, but this can be remedied. I'd negotiated a price over the phone based on the bike being as described and the fact I was having to travel some distance to view it - I was happy so the deal was done.

My first surprise was the height of the seat. Even on it's lowest setting (I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam) my feet don't both sit flat on the ground. The R1200 felt like a big unwieldy lump as I first sat on it (nope, hadn't tried one out before) and a downpour just before I left for my 150 mile ride home to the land of the turnip wasn't exciting me at this point. I needn't have worried.

Although equipped with the Garmin satnav, this hadn't been used fr ages and refused point blank to work. With no phone cradle I would have to revert to my youth and use memory, cunning and resolve to get home before Christmas. A quick pit-stop for fuel and with the now-blinding low sun at my back, I though 'head north', which I did. The first few miles were on country roads and I somehow found Leighton Buzzard, which seemed like a good start.

Ignoring the plethora of switches and other goodies, I concentrated on the ride, which just got better and better. The first thing that struck me once mobile was how comfortable the riding position is. The impression of bulk disappeared and I relaxed into the journey. Black Cat roundabout appeared in no time, and with my new high-viz vest and headlight announcing my appearance in rear-view mirrors, white-van man and homeward-bound students alike seemed to become amazingly compliant. Can't think why. Moving in slow traffic (I decided to leave filtering for another day) and pulling up at roundabouts will need more practice, but after some progressive overtakes on the A15, I just thought, 'Yes....'.

The journey home took just over 2.5 hours after which I stepped off my new steed without any of the 'oohh /ahh /grimace / stretch / stagger away, so fondly remembered from the days of sports bikes.

In evert sense, I had arrived.
Honda CB250N
Honda VFR 770
Suzuki RF600
Suzuki RF900
Honda CBR900
Honda CBR1000xx
Triumph Daytona
Honda CBR 1000xx
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki ZZR1400
BMW K1200RS
BMW R1200RT
johntaylor
Bike Model and Year: Kawasaki 1992
Been liked: 1 time
Chile

Post by johntaylor »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:36 am Lincolnshire roads sounds just like Selsey. If the Tractors doesn't get you the tourists will.
Welcome to the site
It seems like you're comparing the road conditions in Lincolnshire to those in Selsey, highlighting the challenges posed by tractors and tourists. Both places appear to have their unique set of road-related issues. Thank you for the welcome to the site!
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

johntaylor wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:53 am It seems like you're comparing the road conditions in Lincolnshire to those in Selsey, highlighting the challenges posed by tractors and tourists. Both places appear to have their unique set of road-related issues. Thank you for the welcome to the site!
Some 1st posts do make me wonder what it's all about,Alfie :shock:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Welcome to the forum WC.

I lived in Lincolnshire for almost 20 years and found that the B roads there can be great fun, however the Police do, or did in my day, an awful lot of speed checks.

However, as we all religiously stick to the limits (don’t we?) that’s not a problem 8-) One of my favourite routes were the Barney bends -

https://fliesonthevisor.com/free-motorc ... shire-100/

Enjoy the RT 👍
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Steve398 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:30 pm however the Police do, or did in my day, an awful lot of speed checks.
That must be a did as all the times I have been to the funny side of the bridge there's never any police!

Except on the long straight to willingham woods but you would expect that
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

sakm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:25 pm That must be a did as all the times I have been to the funny side of the bridge there's never any police!

Except on the long straight to willingham woods but you would expect that
We can't understand you lot north of the river :lol:
hull.jpeg
hull.jpeg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thats as bad as Welsh. Am trying to re-learn my mother tongue but after 50 years my old brain is is struggling
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

scunny12 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:35 am We can't understand you lot north of the river :lol: hull.jpeg
You don't need to! You just need to remember to not come across :lol: