‘09 RT under seat wiring…

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Roadshadowww
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2009
United States of America

‘09 RT under seat wiring…

Post by Roadshadowww »

Bought this 2009 RT, nice bike low miles BUT when I took the seats off it appears the owner cut the seat heat wires Ft and Rear for some other reason. I live in Florida so no real need for heated seats.
Can I use these wires (front brown & purple) or rear 4 wires to install extra driving lights ? Of the brown / purple which is hot and which is ground ?
Thanks for info.
Bob C
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: ‘09 RT under seat wiring…

Post by Doctor T »

I would find out whats the maximum volts/amps that the wires can deliver. Ive looked at mine on a 07 and the wires are on the thin side so suspect that they wouldn't be any good for a heavy load. By all means, give it a go. 2 things will happen either the canbus will trip of the wires will get hot and melt
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Loopers
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLe 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: ‘09 RT under seat wiring…

Post by Loopers »

You could possibly use the wires as the switched feed for a relay to power the lights but you'll still have to run some heavier cable from the battery to actually power the lights.