BMW Motorrad dealer Ethics

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Superdick
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1250RT
Great Britain

BMW Motorrad dealer Ethics

Post by Superdick »

How ethical should a dealer be when selling a motor cycle. Should the customer expect the dealer to give reasoned advice on the chosen bike when considering riding experience. skill level and ability to ride safely and confidently the chosen motor cycle.

I am an active 72yr old and have not ridden a motor cycle for 40yrs. I purchased with no caveats a R1250RT from a Motorrad dealer.I dropped the bike on my driveway and fractured two vertebrae. Not wishing to be defeated after 2 months recovery I booked a 2 day 1 to 1 training with BMW Rider Training @ Royston

Debrief - Trained on a 310 GS. Novice with great potential. Further training required to progress to 750 GS.

My instructor said to me " Please please do not go home and ride your RT best result lots of broken plastic, worst result lots of broken bones.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Motorrad dealer Ethics

Post by sakm »

Sorry to hear of your drop! Hope you're OK

I wouldn't expect a dealer to give you any advice apart from show you where the controls are before you set off.

They are not a riding school and if they gave advice that caused injury then they could be liable for a court case
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I am sorry that you were hoodwinked, but you probably discussed this with a salesman, not the owner. Since the salesman is usually paid by commission and has a quota to obtain. Not much ethics happening under those conditions. I am 76 and my RT is probably my last bike. An RT is not a beginner's bike. You will just have to write it down as a life's lesson. Never trust a salesman until you see it written down on paper. But at your age, you should have already learned that lesson. Most businesses pay more attention to the bottom line than ethics.
Superdick
Great Britain

Post by Superdick »

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I agree with all comments made, at my age should I have known better ? Perhaps

I believe that the dealer should you adopt a duty of care. Even bottles of alcohol display a " drink aware warning " Drink responsibly.
Yes I know they have to by law

I would have expected some guidance and and an affirmation that I had the skill level required.to ride the RT.
Let me repeat 72, no riding experience for 40 yrs.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think you have summed it up - 72, no riding experience for 40 years, this is all down to you. You can't expect a salesman to tell you what you can and can't ride.

Did you test ride the bike?

My best mate is 74 and still happily rides a 1250RT as does another mate who is 75 and rides a 1250 GSA.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Superdick wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:08 pm Let me repeat 72, no riding experience for 40 yrs.
:stupid: 100% dealers fault fella,cheeky bastards selling you a motorbike you haven't a clue how to ride or ability.
At least you got ya user name right :mrgreen:
Superdick
Great Britain

Post by Superdick »

burridge01 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:49 pm :stupid: 100% dealers fault fella,cheeky bastards selling you a motorbike you haven't a clue how to ride or ability.
At least you got ya user name right :mrgreen:

Why did you end a an empathatic reply why finish with such a derogatory comment.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Sorry to hear of your situation, but salesmen sell bikes, it's up to the buyer to decide whether he can ride it safely or not. That's not just an off the cuff remark, your post could equally be "Cheeky barstuard - who is he to tell me what I can ride :oops: " So it really is down to you when you spending £20K on a bike after 40 years off of one - you should have joined the forum before hand and most of us would have suggested something a little easier on the wallet and skill set - perhaps something like this?

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/products/ ... VwKWQ4MX1s

Anyway, it may be worth seeing if you can trade it in for something lighter if you intend to keep biking :cheers:

James
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

jesim1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:43 pm
Anyway, it may be worth seeing if you can trade it in for something lighter if you intend to keep biking :cheers:

James
Superdicks new stead awaits him,the salesman will not smirk.

:thumb:
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Superdick wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:24 pm Why did you end a an empathatic reply why finish with such a derogatory comment
I wasn't being empathetic(yes,I did have to look the word up :lol: )I was ribbing you :thumb:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 239 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Not a great start, but believe me, you’re not the only one on here that’s dropped their bike.

There’s a very good selection of crash bars available that would save your very expensive plastics… I’m 74, ridden for the last 50 years, but I have crash bars fitted for that moment when I inadvertently put my foot on gravel or a patch of oil and down it goes!

Enjoy your ‘back to biking’ course, and (eventually) your new bike 👍