EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times
Wales

Would it put you off

Post by EasyRider »

So many bike i have seen which are only between 4 & 6 years old, that have had 4 owners or more.
When i look for a bike i've always go for bike that owners have kept for 3 years or more.
The last owners of my Valadero & Gen2 Hayabusa had them for 5 years. My Gen1 Hayabusa was 7 years with it last owner.
I have seen some nice bikes, but am put off by how many owners its had.
One of the things with the 2016/66 RT i was ment to buy, was it had 3 owner, ok i could live with that.
But the last owner was for only 6 or 7 weeks.

So would you br put off buying a bike so young with 4 owners or more for £10k.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Re: Would it put you off

Post by sakm »

Yes!

As little owners as possible for me

Although saying that a owner for a few weeks could mean that they just never got on with the bike
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

One of the problems with older and too many owners is lack of proper maintenance. 12k, 24k or whatever the big services are expensive, sometimes very expensive and replaced with just an oil change because of the high cost of the big service. It's the same with well used top end Jags, BMWs and the like. They're bought because you get a lot of bang for you bucks, driven for a year, but tyres, service & MOT failures are all expensive on top end motors so they tend to be sold on before a big bill comes along or services skipped & pattern / cheap parts fitted.

I won't say walk away, but I would say tread carefully.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Capt Sisko wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:54 am One of the problems with older and too many owners is lack of proper maintenance. 12k, 24k or whatever the big services are expensive, sometimes very expensive and replaced with just an oil change because of the high cost of the big service. It's the same with well used top end Jags, BMWs and the like. They're bought because you get a lot of bang for you bucks, driven for a year, but tyres, service & MOT failures are all expensive on top end motors so they tend to be sold on before a big bill comes along or services skipped & pattern / cheap parts fitted.

I won't say walk away, but I would say tread carefully.
exactly this!

you used to see it a lot with the VFR at the 16k service I believe it was

The worry was that you never knew if that service was actually done or not during the change over between owners or dealers