Removing front mud guard decorative piece

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Removing front mud guard decorative piece

Post by jackronner »

I'm talking about the shiny plastic bit that sits on the very front of the mud guard, whose removal will allow the wheel to be pulled forward and out easily (??). Although I've managed to extract the front wheel without removing it, I want to try taking it off this time to avoid cracking it. There's nothing in the manual (Haynes) that deals with it specifically, and removal of the entire mud guard calls for removing body panels. (of course!!). It seems to be attached by four screws. two each at the rear and underside on either side of the piece. Knowing BMW, however, I anticipate there are other screws I can't visualize with the wheel in place, perhaps on the underside, etc. (I reckon even knows screws could be removed once I have displaced the wheel to one side after pulling the axle). Any hints? Thanks.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Removing front mud guard decorative piece

Post by jackronner »

UPDATE: I had looked on YouTube for a video on the subject, but found nothing. After posting here, I just tried to find a video on front wheel removal, which verified that you only have to remove the four small screws that refer to my post and Bob's your uncle, the wheel pulls straight out. I wonder how many Poor fools spent hours following the instructions in the Haynes, manual and removed all those panels and the entire mud guard?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Re: Removing front mud guard decorative piece

Post by sakm »

I believe it's only two screws one either side then you pull it forward then up