Is Gore-Tex a rip off?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Is Gore-Tex a rip off?

Post by Doctor T »

Never having owned a Gore-Tex piece of clothing, i find this interesting
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Loopers
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLe 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Is Gore-Tex a rip off?

Post by Loopers »

Interesting ! I have Gore-Tex jackets, I have 2 Rukka suits and a Klím Badlalands Pro jacket. I also have a Klím unlined over jacket to fit over my mesh jacket which can also be worn independently while off the bike. To be honest I have been very satisfied with both and makes and all my clothing is of the laminated type. I'm not a great fan of having removable waterproof liners so I have clothing for different seasons/temperatures. I have always found my currant equipment to be reliable and fully waterproof but do agree with what is mentioned in the video that depending on how much physical activity I undertake can depend on how the system works. They are great while riding around but walking around the shops or a show it's easy to overheat.
I have in the past owned some alternatives to Gore-Tex or what is suggested in the video as patent by pass options such as Sympatex which again worked well but after a few years did start to leak. Weather this was poor manufacturing or just wear and tear I don't know but the currant Rukka suit is approx 6 1/2 years old now and is still fully waterproof.
One thing that is not mentioned in the video directly is that you are not advised to use equipment like heated grips or seats as if the temperature is higher on the outside of the garment the properties of the waterproof barrier act in reverse and appear as though they are leaking.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The thing is, on a motorcycle, you are not moving around like you do when walking. So being waterproof or breathable works fine. I have never had an issue with any Gortex kit on a bike. There is an issue if you have gortex gloves in rain and you have your heated grips on, then they do not work very well, which backs up the vid.

For walking we all use Paramo kit, which is really good when active
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

So we've all been paying for plumbers thread tape? Being a Yorkshire lad (despite where I live) I recently purchased a pair of RAF surplus unissued brand new Gortex overtrousers from t'bay for the princely sum of 20 of yer English pounds. Worn twice in light showers and they work fine. A lot comfier and more practical than the dayglo plastic over trousers that found their way home from work with me about 6 years ago.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

I'm not going to be pro or against Gor Tex - but that kind of material is good for bikers as you want it to be waterproof on wet days, and breathable on dry days, so it does kind of suit us even if it does not do both together, which a sportsperson may want :roll:

It's just so difficult these days to know how good a product is, and that's why I think a lot of people, including myself, buy Gor Tex :oops:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I am more than old enough to remember walking gear before Gore-Tex became affordable and despite what FortNine says, Gore-Tex does make a difference, a big difference. Yes, it may not be perfect, but if you've never experienced the PU coated bright orange boil in bag cagoule, (you remember the one's with the single chest pocket), trust me Gore-Tex was a revelation. As for some of the stuff he says about sweat & perspiration, come guys & gals, we're sitting on our arses for most of the time not running a marathon! Plus most jackets have vents & flaps anyway.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Capt Sisko wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:03 pm I am more than old enough to remember walking gear before Gore-Tex became affordable and despite what FortNine says, Gore-Tex does make a difference, a big difference. Yes, it may not be perfect, but if you've never experienced the PU coated bright orange boil in bag cagoule, (you remember the one's with the single chest pocket), trust me Gore-Tex was a revelation. As for some of the stuff he says about sweat & perspiration, come guys & gals, we're sitting on our arses for most of the time not running a marathon! Plus most jackets have vents & flaps anyway.
That has just reminded me of my first experience with Gor Tex :lol:

I use to do a lot of Rally's in my younger days, and on many an occasion my feet were so wet I used to put plastic bags on them before I put my leather bike boots on - yes, I know :oops:

So I decided enough was enough, and took a massive leap of faith plumping for very expensive Gor Tex boots - this was before the internet was in any way useful, so it really was a purchase of faith as there was little info about stuff like that :roll:

Thankfully, they were great, totally dry every time, it was a revelation, I had them for about 6/7 years and replaced them with something very similar when the time came. I hasten to add they were still in good waterproof condition, but sadly I had put on some weight and they were hard to get on over my calves :lol:

:yay: Go Gor Tex :lol:
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 161 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

IMO to sum it up, NO "Gore-Tex" is not a rip off. Both my Boots and Gloves are "Gore-Tex" , i ride in the wet & winter and my hands and feet are never wet.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
imanalex8
Bike Model and Year: Ducati 2020
Algeria

Post by imanalex8 »

Interesting video! I don't have personal experience with Gore-Tex motorcycle gear, but I do own some of their hiking gear. In my experience, their waterproof breathable technology check template works well to keep you dry without getting too sweaty or clammy, as long as you're generating enough heat from activity.