Accidental reversed terminals! HELP!

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
onechriswood
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2019
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Accidental reversed terminals! HELP!

Post by onechriswood »

I have a 2019 r1250RT. It had been stood for a while and the battery had nearly died meaning the bike wouldn't turn over, so I decided to remove the battery and put it on trickle charge. Compared to all the other bikes I've owned, I found this to be a right faff. My battery is a an AGV and has 4 terminals. I've had the battery tested and it is fine and in good condition. However, in my haste to get the bike going again, I may have (definitely) accidentally reversed the terminals...
Anywho, I expected the main 50amp fuse to be blown so I changed it. This has worked to a degree as the steering lock and central locking is now working. However, I've nothing at all on the dash and it obviously won't start. Please help this young amateur fool...
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 397 times
Great Britain

Re: Accidental reversed terminals! HELP!

Post by sakm »

Batteries don't take too kindly to been drained and left

Has it been load tested or just charged and voltage checked?

I have had battery's that show good voltage but stick a load on it and it just dies
onechriswood
Great Britain

Post by onechriswood »

sakm wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:55 pm Batteries don't take too kindly to been drained and left

Has it been load tested or just charged and voltage checked?

I have had battery's that show good voltage but stick a load on it and it just dies
Good point. The load test was done at my local Halfords after I'd had it on charge for a while. I'm sure there would be enough charge to at least put lights on the dash
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

onechriswood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:40 am Good point. The load test was done at my local Halfords after I'd had it on charge for a while. I'm sure there would be enough charge to at least put lights on the dash
You would be surprised how power hungry these bike are when you turn them on! I saw voltage on a good battery drop to 9v at initial turn on then gradually comes back up

If yours has the TFT then it could be even more draw
onechriswood
Great Britain

Post by onechriswood »

sakm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:25 am You would be surprised how power hungry these bike are when you turn them on! I saw voltage on a good battery drop to 9v at initial turn on then gradually comes back up

If yours has the TFT then it could be even more draw
Do you think the lack of lights etc on the dash could be from a blown fuse for the dash, or are you leaning more towards the battery being fubar'd. Also the datatool fob on my keys flashes red
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

There is two fuses located under the front seat apparently so it might be worth checking those first

I have yet to find them so I can't say exactly where they are :?
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

A similar thread was posted some time ago on here where the owners son changed his bike battery for him and reversed the polarity, the owner was alerted by the sound of his horn sounding continuously… Anyone else remember it?
As I posted on that thread, I know someone locally who did the same to his wife’s Mercedes sports car and destroyed so many of the ECU’s that the ins co wrote it off.
Fingers crossed for you 🙏🤞
onechriswood
Great Britain

Post by onechriswood »

:-D
Steve398 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:49 pm A similar thread was posted some time ago on here where the owners son changed his bike battery for him and reversed the polarity, the owner was alerted by the sound of his horn sounding continuously… Anyone else remember it?
As I posted on that thread, I know someone locally who did the same to his wife’s Mercedes sports car and destroyed so many of the ECU’s that the ins co wrote it off.
Fingers crossed for you 🙏🤞
Oh bloody hell 🤦
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

onechriswood
Great Britain

Post by onechriswood »

I've managed to start the bike and now everything appears to be working normally with no obvious issues. I started it with the same battery that had been on charge for a few days. I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I start it again