EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times
Wales

Service History

Post by EasyRider »

So when i bought my new to me RT last week, I knew it had a full BMW service history with 5 stamps in the book.
Now when the bike was delivered, it only had the paperwork for the last service in September this year.
I rang up the BMW dealer to ask if i could have a copy of all the services and work done on the bike as it had all been done by the same BMW dealer. I was told i could not have copys of the invoices, but he would email what it had done. I got an email within 10 mins with just 5 lines saying it was serviced and on which date. It was not a lot of good as i already knew that from the service book.
So I spoke to someone i knew about this (they dont work for BMW) and within 30 mins i had an email with everything the bike had had done since its PDI. The only thing that was done was the name and address of the old owner was removed by the person i asked for help. Did'nt mind that as i already had it with his contact info as well. I'm the second owner.
But why could not the BMW dealer have done the same and just removed the owners info from the paperwork.
If it was not for the help in getting the info i would of not known it has had 2 new exhaust headerds at 4k and 12k. would not of known the tappets were checked as 12K. And that the paint protection film was fitted from new. and that in 2021 it had to have a new right side rocker cover.
IMO this info is a must to have with any vehicle, no matter how old it is.
One of the reasons that i ended up buying this bike was the Full BMW service history it had.
Anyway i'm happy now as i have everything i should have with the bike.

on a side note.
Datatag want £20 to put there paperwork in my name.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Re: Service History

Post by Capt Sisko »

Good point and I suspect someone at BMW got a bit overzealous with their interpretation of data protection.

Ref the replacement headers, as I'm sure you're aware of there is a problem with the exhaust flap seizing up and as the exhaust flap can't be replaced on it's own BMW have to fit new headers it comes as complete unit.

When yours fails, and it's a when not an if, provided the flap has seized up on the open position (which most do*) it's not really a problem. You simply fit a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator Module and clear the fault code (the engine management warning light will be on permanently by this point). 50 quid, half an hours work and the problem goes away. Some people claim it makes the bike a little louder at tickover, but I didn't notice any difference when mine seized up.

And why do they all fail? Lots of reason are kicked around the internet but my mechanics, and probably slightly cynical opinion was that as new bikes have to conform to certain emission standards, but the UK along certainly the rest of the EU doesn't have an emissions test as part of the motorcycle MOT. Hence BMW use the cheapest exhaust flap mechanism go knowing long term it's not their problem and the few headers that they have to replace under warranty doesn't cost as much as using a decent flap mechanism in the first place.

*If it seizes closed (and my mechanic said he'd only ever had one instance of this) the bike will go into limp home mode.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Edited...

I just rang up the warranty people to ask if the BMW insured warranty covers the exhaust.
Just so everyone who reads this knows. Its an EXCLUDED item and not covered by there warranty.
Last edited by EasyRider on Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Capt Sisko wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:01 pm You simple fit a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator Module and clear the fault code (the engine management warning light will be on permanently by this point).
He won't get a engine management light on thats only on the 1250 onwards

He will get an error code though

And I agree get the healtech ESE probably sooner rather than wait for the issues
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:12 pm Does the BMW warranty that you can buy, monthly or yearly cover the exhaust ?
No it excludes the exhaust
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

sakm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:14 pm He won't get a engine management light on thats only on the 1250 onwards
I have the 1250 :cry:
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:24 pm I have the 1250 :cry:
Ah! I thought you got the 1200 🤦

I take it back then :lol:
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Im starting to think is the BMW insured warranty worth buying ???
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:40 pm Im starting to think is the BMW insured warranty worth buying ???
Cancelled mine when the bike got to 30k miles as the suspension isn't covered beyond this.
After a poor experience with a potential claim and the fact that the exhaust flap isn't covered it didn't seem good value for money.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

As an interesting side note about warranties; I bought a three year old second hand Toyota CHR a couple of years ago and as I bought it from a Toyota main dealer it came with it a full warrant, just as if I'd bought a new car, and provided I take it back to a main dealer for it's servicing, after each service I get a fresh full warranty, just as if I'd bought a new car for the next 10,000 miles/1yr. Repeat until the vehicle has done 100,000miles or is ten years old, Oh, and they collect the car from home and leave a courtesy car.

Okay, I know I'm probably paying a little more for a main dealer service rather than my local mechanic doing the work, but having priced it up, it ain't that much more and what I'm getting back is in effect a very cheap insurance warrant, and one without a list of exclusions as long as your arm.

So, if a volume car manufacturer can do this on what is a, and let's be honest here, a run of the mill and mundane car, why can't a prestige manufacturer offer something similar on what are premium motorcycles.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

When i bought mine it came with the standerd 3 months warrany for the dealer i bought it from.
Because i'm not going to start using the bike untill April, the 3 month warranty will start from then.
As for the BMW insured warranty, I really dont know if its worth paying the £35/£39 a month for.
As i got the bike cheaper than most dealer have them for sale for, I might try it for the first year and see how it goes.
But IMO the to biggest things that i would want covered are not. The exhaust and corrosion as they can put that down to the bike not being looked after, even though we know its a common fault with the RT.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I suspect the header and servo were fixed under the BMW warranty that the bike came with from new. Thay may have also come under a recall. After that, it's up to the owner to pay for them.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.