LC headlight bulb change

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Dringy

LC headlight bulb change

Post by Dringy »

Hi all,
My first post on any forum, hope my question isn't too obvious. Has anyone tried to change the centre headlight H7 bulb? There's no advice in the manual. Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received.
Cheers,
Dringy in Southport.
guest2360

Re: LC headlight bulb change

Post by guest2360 »

Just remember you could end up with a permanent warning light on the dash if you put anything but an H7 in. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Try Page 129 Chapter 7 of Owners Manual. Replacing low and high beam bulbs.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi `Dringy', and welcome  post a photo of the Bike when you get a chance - enjoy the Forum, some real useful `Techy Wizards' can be found  on here .    8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Pope

Post by Pope »

Changing the H7 bulb is a bit fiddly, but i've managed it in about 10 minutes with little effort.

Its all done blind, but its quite simple. just kneel/sit down in front of the bike, and reach up under and behind the headlight.
Twist off the circular plastic cover (anti-clockwise), pull off the connector, unclip the bulb retainer wire and remove the bulb.

Re-fitting is obviously the reverse, but you can look into the headlight from the front to help locate the bulb in the socket.

Like i say, its fiddly, and all done by touch only, but I managed it OK, and i'm a mechanical numpty. 
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Dringy

Post by Dringy »

Thanks all for your prompt replies chaps.
I'll follow Mr Pope's advice. Although many thanks to Levisp for the specifics about the owner's manual. The UK manual has only one reference to headlights in its index, on page 61. Obviously I was only reading this with one eye on the book - fancy not thinking it might be in maintenance section. Page 134 of UK book in case there's any other numpties out there like me.

Yes it's an H7 I'm putting in - a Phillips Extreme Vision one. I've used them in my last two RT's and they make a big difference. Only one out of four has blown.

Cheers, Dringy
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Glad we could help.

Just uploaded to forum the 2014 User Manual for R1200RT in PDF. Its in the Downloads Section.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.