ESA Problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
ROYR
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2005
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

ESA Problem

Post by ROYR »

Strange problem with ESA, 2005 model k26 , supposedly this year shouldnt have ESA, just manual rear shock. Well mine has electronic shock which when removed and connected to battery it works. However using switch nothing at all happens. Nothing on display and no adjustment. A bmw mechanic looked at it and was baffled. Anyone come across this problem. Both front and rear shocks are wired up.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA Problem

Post by Doctor T »

Didnt know 05 models had ESA fitted. I may be wrong though
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
ROYR
Great Britain

Post by ROYR »

Hi, I agree with you , even wiring diagram has nothing on about ESA. The next year up 2006 shows ESA wiring ? The only thing I haven’t checked is the ESA switch and wiring to control unit which means I have to remove tank etc.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 397 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Could it be an early registered 2006 model year?

Mine is a 2016 but a 2017 model year
ROYR
Great Britain

Post by ROYR »

I had thought about that, but if it was it would make it. K52 ( think that’s the correct model), and the diagnostic module I have tells me it can’t connect to that model. Even thought if it was an early 2006 - would it be poss that it didn’t get an update for ESA but have been told that could never happen. Also the 2006 has cruise control , tyre pressure monitor etc and mine doesn’t have wiring for that?. The bike handles great no matter how I ride it even with two up, it just drives me crazy not been able to figure this out. Thanks for your reply much appreciated.
Psychobabble
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by Psychobabble »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:38 pm Didnt know 05 models had ESA fitted. I may be wrong though
My 2005 came with ESA. The rear’s been rebuilt and now manual preload (original gas assist was prone the failure), but dampening is still connected and functioning.
ROYR
Great Britain

Post by ROYR »

just entered the 17 digit vin on a web site and it came up with my vehicle history from when manufactured including any extras which where added on and guess what- it has ESA included at time of manufacture which was in July 2005. think its time to bite the bullet and strip her down to get at the ECU and have wiring/connections checked first before striping out ECU and having that looked at.
Quico
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Portugal

Post by Quico »

ROYR wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:13 pm Strange problem with ESA, 2005 model k26 , supposedly this year shouldnt have ESA, just manual rear shock. Well mine has electronic shock which when removed and connected to battery it works. However using switch nothing at all happens. Nothing on display and no adjustment. A bmw mechanic looked at it and was baffled. Anyone come across this problem. Both front and rear shocks are wired up.
how do you connect it directly to to 12v? Can you test the preload or both preload and damping?
ROYR
Great Britain

Post by ROYR »

Hi, connected the blue and white wire on the terminal block at the shock straight to a 12v battery, then reversed the wire terminals , this worked the rear shock in both directions so you can measure for correct travel length. unfortunately thats all you can check on rear shock. I havent looked at the front shock as I read that you cant do this procedure with it.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

If it works straight to the battery, it could mean a couple of things. 1. You have a break in the wiring. 2. bad earth. 3. faulty switch. These are the basics to start with
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
ROYR
Great Britain

Post by ROYR »

Hi Doctor T, thats my next port of call with whet you suggested, going to strip her down over xmas and have a check. it was suggested by a BM technician that he wondered if the ECU was not programmed for the add on ESA but another technician that this couldnt happen?. Will let you know once i have carried out checks, thanks for your help. Roy.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

If it cam with ESA it should be in the ECU from the start. Unless someone along the line changed it for a non ESA ECU. Not sure how to check this without plugging it in to a computer.
CaseyK
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2008
Has liked: 3 times
Netherlands

Post by CaseyK »

Did it ever work, and stop working, or has it never worked during your ownership?