Alloy forks pitting - how to get them looking good!

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Meteora _1257
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2010
Great Britain

Alloy forks pitting - how to get them looking good!

Post by Meteora _1257 »

Hi folks,

I have a 2010 RT and the alloy laquer on the forks (not the chrome bit at the top) hasn’t faired too well with road salt, stone chips etc. and now looks tired.

Has anyone got any tips that you can DIY at home to make them look good again?

Thanks 😊
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Re: Alloy forks pitting - how to get them looking good!

Post by SimonD »

I used this stuff:

https://www.frost.co.uk/vht-engine-meta ... XAQAvD_BwE

Very happy with the results:
Attachments
BMW_Fork.jpeg
BMW_Fork.jpeg (457.46 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

I have used Rub'n'Buff on bare alloy casing (on my old 1989 R100RT) with very good results.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6992698 ... 4e7fb9ce7b

I used Silver Leaf and a very little goes a long way. Easy to apply and can be buffed to give a slight sheen (not chrome!). As always, surface prep is important - the cleaner the surface, the better the result.

Old Foxy
Meteora _1257
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2010
Great Britain

Post by Meteora _1257 »

I’m hoping to treat the forks whilst in situe, don’t have the time to remove them and replace them sadly.

What’s the best way to rub them down? I’ve heard sand paper, wire wool, even scrunched up foil!
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

If you have a 2010 or earlier model with fork legs like mine then an abrasive pad - I think I used 3M scotch-brite pads - did the trick followed by a good clean with thinners. For the 2011 on bikes something more sophisticated would be required.

Removing the fork sliders is very easy. I just removed the mudguard, took the wheel out, undid the fork brace bolts and pulled them down. I took the opportunity to remove seals and change oil but that was very simple - the oil is only there as a lubricant, there is no damping going on. Doing this and powder coating the footrest hangers transformed the appearance of the bike.
The only problem I had was that one of the mudguard bolts sheared off in the fork leg - I had to drill it out and use a helicoil.