Lower an RT Center Stand

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
sre7
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2006
United States of America

Lower an RT Center Stand

Post by sre7 »

Greetings Guys and Gals, I am considering lowering my 2007 RT by installing the EPM Performance HyperPro -1" lowering springs. Even though the EPM people say that the bike will sit unloaded at about the same height as a stock bike, I have also read a number of people have needed to shorten their side and center stand.

My question is this...does anyone know if you install 1-inch lower springs, do you shorten the side and center stand an equal amount?? Or, due to the angles of the two stands, do they need to be lowered more or less of the amount the springs were lowered?

Any insight or wisdom on this would be a great help. Thanks!!!
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Re: Lower an RT Center Stand

Post by sakm »

I have had to do a few stands for a mate and they all varied depending on the angles they sat at

The best way I found was to cut the foot off and shorten the stand at the end a bit at a time until its right then weld the foot back on

You don't need to do the centre stand it will still work but be harder to get on the stand a workaround is to put the rear wheel on a small piece of wood about half an inch thick which makes it easier
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Tenequip »

Assuming you are only lowering the rear springs the kick stand will probably be ok most of the time and the center stand will be more difficult to in gage on the bike. You will need to be more careful with the kick stand.
Tenequip
sre7
United States of America

Post by sre7 »

sakm wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:41 pm I have had to do a few stands for a mate and they all varied depending on the angles they sat at

The best way I found was to cut the foot off and shorten the stand at the end a bit at a time until its right then weld the foot back on

You don't need to do the center stand it will still work, but be harder to get on the stand a workaround is to put the rear wheel on a small piece of wood about half an inch thick which makes it easier
Thanks much, Sakm for your comments. I like your process of shortening the side stand; makes total sense.

I think I will still need to shorten the center stand as it is already difficult to get up on the center stand if there is any weight in the side or tail panniers.

I'm only about 75kg (165 lbs) with all my gear on, so don't have a comfortable amount of weight to push down on the center stand. I also am not as "buff" in the arms as I use to be, I guess it goes with the age. I'm pretty sure that I could use your same process to shorten the center stand as you suggested on the side stand. Thank again.
sre7
United States of America

Post by sre7 »

Tenequip wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:21 am Assuming you are only lowering the rear springs the kick stand will probably be ok most of the time and the center stand will be more difficult to in gage on the bike. You will need to be more careful with the kick stand.
Tenequip

Thank you Tenequiup for your comment. If I lower via the springs route, I will do both ends of the bike as I don't want to change the geometry too much from stock.

I hope you and the supplier of the "variable-rate springs" are correct and the bike unloaded will sit the same height as a stock-sprung bike.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

That's one thing I have never had to do is to shorten the centre stand.

I do suspect it may well make it harder to get on the centre stand due to altering the pivot point

I would shorten the side stand first then try the trick with the piece of wood under the rear wheel and if its a no go then you could try to shorten it
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've lowed a bike before. Getting it on the center stand was a pain. Any welder can cut and shut a center stand for you. One thing to note is you may need a shorter stand spring as well.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Coastal Eddy
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Coastal Eddy »

I am hoping this is still an ongoing topic. I went through the lowering process. Beemer Bob provided lowered shocks for my 2018RT. this took 10MM out of the height of the bike. I also have a lowered saddle. I am 5'5" with a 29inch in seam. I could have just stayed with the stock height if I used the soft setting. I almost always ride in the firm setting which makes the seat height higher. I decided to go with the lowered suspension and cut the center stand.
Its not easy removing the center stand ,fighting with those three springs, and I only wanted to do it once. In the correct suspension setting, I put the bike wheels on 2/6 boards, leaned the bike into the appropriate leaned position and with another 2/6 block next to the center stand determined the desired length. With the side stand off the bike I cut down and welded the foot back on. I actually cut down the shaft about 3/4" from the attached foot. I only use the center stand for servicing and found that with a 2x6 block under the rear wheel, the center stand was usable again.
sre7
United States of America

Post by sre7 »

Thank you Costal Eddie...much appreciate your experience.