Exhaust flaps

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Colin S
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT/2018
Great Britain

Exhaust flaps

Post by Colin S »

Hi everyone on this forum. Thank you for having me. I live on the South Coast of England and generally use my bike about once every one to two weeks, lots more during the spring, summer ,autumn months.
I have a 2018, R1200RT and had an MOT at the beginning of December, when they told me that the exhaust flap was seized. This is the third one since the bike was new. I would have thought that there could be a way of sorting this out, or just get rid of.
After all most of the rain,road,dynamic changes are done to the engine mapping systems now.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust flaps

Post by Casbar »

The GS1300 has a horizontal flap, so maybe that is the answer. The flap is primarily for noise emissions, it doesn't do much else, so if it is stuck open, then there are no issues, except on the 1250 you get an orange warning light.

Do a search, there are loads of threads about lubrication and fitting emulators etc. Even if you manage to free it, it will probably stick again unless you regularly lubricate it with high temp spray. I would just leave it and gorget about it.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Just get rid of it and fit a HealTech Servo Eliminator. Provided the flap is stuck in the open position, and you'd know about it if it wasn't, 50 quid and half an hours work and the problems goes away for ever. Some say it makes the exhaust a little louder, but I didn't notice and difference after I converted mine.

https://healtech.co.uk/shop/exhaust-ser ... nator-ese/

OR you could just ignore it. On my 1250 I got a warning light, but I believe on 1200 models although it logs an error on the diagnostic, you don't get a dashboard warning.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Capt Sisko wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:57 pm Just get rid of it and fit a HealTech Servo Eliminator. Provided the flap is stuck in the open position, and you'd know about it if it wasn't, 50 quid and half an hours work and the problems goes away for ever. Some say it makes the exhaust a little louder, but I didn't notice and difference after I took mine.

OR you could just ignore it. On my 1250 I got a warning light, but I believe on 1200 models although it logs an error on the diagnostic, you don't get a dashboard warning.
Yep, no warning light on mine, 2017MY
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:58 am Do a search, there are loads of threads about lubrication and fitting emulators etc. Even if you manage to free it, it will probably stick again unless you regularly lubricate it with high temp spray. I would just leave it and gorget about it.
This

And this
Capt Sisko wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:57 pm Just get rid of it and fit a HealTech Servo Eliminator. Provided the flap is stuck in the open position, and you'd know about it if it wasn't, 50 quid and half an hours work and the problems goes away for ever. Some say it makes the exhaust a little louder, but I didn't notice and difference after I converted mine.

I'm being lazy :lol:

I tried to unseize mine and it worked for about 2 weeks then needed doing again! I tried all sorts to free it off and nothing would keep it from seizing

Once it goes its game over just get a HealTech Servo Eliminator and have done with it

Remove the cables and open it and it will just stay wide open
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Not wanting to hijack the thread but is there any proven maintenance on working flaps to prevent this happening ?.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Panman40 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm Not wanting to hijack the thread but is there any proven maintenance on working flaps to prevent this happening ?.
Not that I am aware of
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

sakm wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:01 pm Not that I am aware of
Agreed, when mine went I scoured the internet for a fix, and yes people did free theirs, apply high melting point grease and got it moving again, but 6 weeks or whatever later it was stuck again; but no, no one ever came up with either a prevented maintenance routine or permanent fix for one stuck.

As a side note my mechanic reckons the flap is there to make the bike comply with emission regulation when new, however unlike cars, emission tested aren't part of the motorbike MOT requirement in the UK (or any other EU country for that matter) so BMW weren't going to spend a lot of money on developing a decent part. It's cheaper to pay out for the warranty claims than spent the money on developing the aforementioned decent part. Don't know how accurate this is, but it sounds reasonable, if a little disappointing for a premium product to me.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

You can try this, but it will most likely return
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The flap is there for "noise" emissions, it has nothing whatsoever to do with engine emissions as people perceive it. Some will also tell you it provides some back pressure, this is also a moot point as the flap is after the cat and doesn't impact anything to do with fueling.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Casbar's comments are spot on.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.