Hi from Yorkshire

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Herman90
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Hi from Yorkshire

Post by Herman90 »

Just a quick hello and introduction. The attached photo is my recently acquired 2020 R1250RT in Mineral Grey Metallic. I bought it unseen from a BMW Motorrad dealer in Glasgow. Good people to deal with. I wasn't entirely buying blind as I'd been sent a couple of illustrative videos. Still a risk I admit. However, a full 2 years warranty from BMW is very reassuring.

This is not my first RT. I've previously owned the 1250 and before that, 2 R1200RT's. Going back further I had owned an '02 R1150R Rockster. Now that was an awesome looking motorcycle that I wish I had never sold!

Like many of a certain age, I began my motorcycle association on a Yamaha FS1-E, bought new back in 1973. Since then, I have never been without a bike. That adds up to 50 happy years of motorcycling. Hopefully I have a few more years left in me.

At the moment I'm busy with research and plans for a trip to Normandy next year for the 80th D Day commemorations. It's a camping trip on the RT. The site is booked and so is the ferry. I'll be sailing Newhaven/Dieppe with DFDS. I've done the same crossing previously in 2019 but that time was in a Land Rover Defender. I'd be interested to hear any recommendations for any battle sites, cemeteries, museums etc relating to the Normandy landings or indeed any places of general interest to visit whilst I'm in Normandy. I'll do a ride report once I'm home again.

Looking forward to getting to know the riding community here more. Peter
Herman90
Great Britain

Re: Hi from Yorkshire

Post by Herman90 »

RRT-6.jpg
RRT-6.jpg (561.79 KiB) Viewed 530 times
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 399 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I'm not sure if I should say welcome to the forum seen as though you joined in 2017 :lol:

Welcome back :thumb:
Herman90
Great Britain

Post by Herman90 »

Yes, fair point but there has been a long inexcusable absence. Thank you for the conditional welcome ;)
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Welcome back - you have some great roads up where you are, be sure to be careful on them over winter though :cheers:

No help with the D Day stuff, I'm off to Spain on the RT in April though, it will be it's first bigger tour as I've only done a couple of 1000 mile tripes so far this year as well as the usual run outs :thumb:

James
Herman90
Great Britain

Post by Herman90 »

Thank you for the welcome James. Your April trip to Spain sounds like a brilliant adventure. Have a great time.
Rusty
Bike Model and Year: 2011 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Rusty »

Hi

I did the D Day Normandy stuff this summer

Some of the big sites include; Pointe du hoc, Omaha beach/American cemetery, Dead Man's corner, Pegusus bridge, Merville Battery, Saint Mere Eglise. Several of those have big and modern museums associated with them. They will be extremely busy at that time so I suggest booking ahead when possible.

Smaller one's I found that I really enjoyed included; Le Bunker in Ouistreham and Batterie Allemande at Longues sur Mer

Hope that helps
Herman90
Great Britain

Post by Herman90 »

Thank you for the tips Rusty. I’ve done most of the locations you mentioned but that’s 5 years ago. In any case I enjoy revisiting places of interest like these and I appreciate your time providing the input. Thank you 👍