February winter road trip

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

February winter road trip

Post by beemerbaz »

Well the winter has got to me already, I haven't been out on the bike since late October and am beginning to get withdrawal feelings so as a treat to myself I have booked a long weekend on the Isle of Wight mid February, the only thing to prevent it will be the white stuff so let's all hope for an Indian summer from 13th Feb onwards.

Anyone else in a similar position to myself ?
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
stelyn

Re: February winter road trip

Post by stelyn »

A bit luckier than you, its been raining on and off here in Kent for the past couple of weeks  ( no snow though ) couple of days back there was a smidge of Blue sky and no rain or frost , so out I went  for a `jolly around the block', only saw a few other Bikes out,  the Wife had `declined' to join me  -  45 miles, later back home in the warm.  Trouble is I then had to wash all  the road salt and crud of the Bike,  but it was sure worth it.  :be happy: 
Just waiting for the next dry spell,  Wife thinks I'm mad,  she's holding out for the next heatwave.... 
So looks like I'll be riding out without her.... life s a bitch sometimes....  :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not had it out for nearly a month now. Iv taken to the brandy.  Its even too cold to try and fit my confusing box of weather protection kit.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Not had it out for nearly a month now. Iv taken to the brandy.  Its even too cold to try and fit my confusing box of weather protection kit.
DRINK... now that's an idea..  A bit cloudy and overcast down here all of a sudden,  think I'll pour a glass or two.... :whistle:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I feel for you guys up North the weather's been harsh, here in West Sussex its been OK. Seems I been lucky I've ridden a couple times every week so far this Winter.

However done a lot of bike washing too !!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sounds like some of you guys need to man-up!

I'm commuting regularly from London to Brighton, all toasty-warm and dry with my heated seat and comfort screen.

Last Sunday went for a group ride-out down the Surrey/Sussex lanes to Arundel and when we got there, it was warm enough to sit outside for lunch...

;-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: Sounds like some of you guys need to man-up!

I'm commuting regularly from London to Brighton, all toasty-warm and dry with my heated seat and comfort screen.

Last Sunday went for a group ride-out down the Surrey/Sussex lanes to Arundel and when we got there, it was warm enough to sit outside for lunch...

;-)
South of the Watford Gap.  Different world, hic
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

richardbd wrote: Sounds like some of you guys need to man-up!

;-)
Ah the benefit of being retired, the bike only comes out for pleasure and then only if I can guarantee at least an hour of day light on my return to wash and dry the bike before tucking away for the night.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Winter? What is this winter you speak of? I was breaking in my new Pilot 3's yesterday at around 23 degrees Celsius.  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

slowvet wrote: Winter? What is this winter you speak of? I was breaking in my new Pilot 3's yesterday at around 23 degrees Celsius.  ;)
Don't you just hate west coast Americans sometimes. Here in sub tropical Nottingham the sun has been out all day but its not managed to thaw the frost on the road.  Back to the Napoleon. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Same misery here in Kent ...hic.    :(
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

RTman10 wrote: Don't you just hate west coast Americans sometimes. Here in sub tropical Nottingham the sun has been out all day but its not managed to thaw the frost on the road.  Back to the Napoleon.

I did motorcycle courier work in Washington DC year round for a long time. I dreaded knowing knowing I'd be a human popsicle for 40 + hours a week for the entire winter. No grip warmers or seat warmers, just snow mobile gloves and hippo hand protectors. Then the bulky snowmobile suit and an apple warmer that barely worked. I can sympathize with you guys. I would trade my scenery with yours any day though and look forward to Spring.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

slowvet wrote:
. I would trade my scenery with yours any day though and look forward to Spring.
I doubt `RTman10 '  would agree,  at the moment,  he's currently `viewing'  his bottle of `Napoleon'  !!!    hic    :be happy:
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

:beer:  Now that's a thought. I have managed a ride in the last fortnight and I suppose I could ride most days but would end up needing to clean the bike down, no risk of salt on my roads here though. It's just renovating and trying to get two bedrooms finished for house sitters before my trip to Oz in February meas my hands are full doing more important things or so she tells me  :enjoying: . For all you guys riding enjoy and stay safe the remainder should follow RTmans example  :beer: