Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Keis Heated Kit with 3rd Party Controller

Post by Capt Sisko »

Hi All,

I have a Keis Vest, Pants & Insoles which I like and do what I want as heated kit. What I don't like are the Keis controllers, AND because of the way Keis kit connects I have to have two of them! One for the vest and one for the pants (which also controls the insoles and I'm fine with that). This means there is a lot of wires & clutter hanging from my hips and you've got to stop & fiddle around if you want to change the heat setting on the go.

Now, I see that both Safe & Warm and Gerbing make a Dual Control & Wireless controllers with a remote control box with handy little knobs on them which sounds like it'll partially fix my problem. So my question is has anyone else gone down this 'mix & match' route and does it work?

(Note. I see that Keis use a different size connector to the above controllers, but I also see I can buy a converter relatively cheaply so that's not an issue).
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Keis Heated Kit with 3rd Party Controller

Post by Doctor T »

Am sure they make an interconnecting. Only problem with everything connected is you will not be able to adjust the temp for each garment
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Both makes offer a dual control option, i.e. two turn knobs with 2x output wires. As long as I can connect the vest to output A and the trousers/insoles to B then I'll have separate temperature adjusters.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

There you go just answered your own question
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Only part of it. I know it can be made to fit, but what I don't know is if the controller will actually erm, control the Keis stuff. It's no use if the controller works but doesn't deliver enough volts to heat properly or worse fry. That's why I was asking if anyone has actually done it.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

If its cold enough to want to have a heated under layer on there must be ice about
You should look at the RST Parragon 6 range.
Anything above 8 degrees and the kit can be to warm.
I'm on blood thinners and feel the cold.
With my Parragon 6 jacket and trousers i feel just toasty when out riding on a cold day.
Best kit ive ever bought for winter riding.
Also fitted BarkBusters to my Varadero which work great to.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

EasyRider wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 am If its cold enough to want to have a heated under layer on there must be ice about
You should look at the RST Parragon 6 range.
Anything above 8 degrees and the kit can be to warm.
I'm on blood thinners and feel the cold.
With my Parragon 6 jacket and trousers i feel just toasty when out riding on a cold day.
Best kit ive ever bought for winter riding.
Also fitted BarkBusters to my Varadero which work great to.
RST 6 pro is the best suit ive ever bought. I wear mine winter to late spring. I only wear a base long sleeve top or just a T shirt. After that it's a mesh jacket. Unlike you i have high blood pressure, the medication is good for bringing it down but i still sweat like a pig in the summer months.
My mates think I am mad going out in the low single figures but it's the only way i can cool down.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

If you have an hex ezcan you can control them through that along with the heated grips

You can have different levels of heat depending on the setting on the heated grips

Personally I think that's a better way to go rather than faffing with controllers

Just plug in and set your heated grips to on and your heated gear will come on too
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using a Keis splitter lead, I have two Keis controllers mounted on the tank bag rail of my 2012 Camhead. The heated jacket is plugged into one and heated insoles into the other. Works a treat, heating can be controlled individually and on the move. Not the case with the controllers tucked away inside a pocket.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:25 am If you have an hex ezcan you can control them through that along with the heated grips

You can have different levels of heat depending on the setting on the heated grips

Personally I think that's a better way to go rather than faffing with controllers

Just plug in and set your heated grips to on and your heated gear will come on too
Depends what kit you have. If you have Gerbing kit, that has heat controllers on the cuffs of the gloves so they need full amps all the time, whereas the jackets/trousers require the amps controlled by the controllers. So the Hex/Cansmart wouldn't work to control. The controllers have a direct (full amperage) connection for the gloves and a controlled amperage for the rest, if you are connecting everything through the jacket.

Plus if using my heated gloves, I don't bother with the heated grips as the gloves are good enough.

As per the comment you don't need heated gear unless there is ice around is rubbish. I wear my heated jacket with a think base layer and no jacket liner at temps down to plus 3 or 4, having the jacket set to low, it is just comfortable and makes long rides less tiring. But each to their own.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Casbar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 am As per the comment you don't need heated gear unless there is ice around is rubbish. I wear my heated jacket with a think base layer and no jacket liner at temps down to plus 3 or 4, having the jacket set to low, it is just comfortable and makes long rides less tiring. But each to their own.
You are wearing the wrong winter gear if you need a heated layer. As i have said, i'm on blood thinners and i do feel the cold more since i've been on them. I was told about the RST Parragon 6 jacket and trousers and how good they are at keeping the body warm. I ended up buying 2 jackets, a 2XL & 3XL. The 2XL i wear without the liner and the 3XL with the liner. I only wear the 3XL if its been a very cold clear night. We go out at 8am in the mornings for about 6 hours. I have even found i get to warm with the 3XL jacket with liner fitted. If you are not to far from me i will happily let you try my jacket out for a day or two.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I bought a Keiss heated vest years ago and have only used it once on the bike. It gets plenty of use at the touchline of freezing hockey pitches though!

I set up a dedicated lead on the Buell for the vest rather than use the 12V ciggy lighter sockets. Should I do the same on the RT or can I just plug into the power sockets?
This is my first winter on the RT and I've found that with the fairing, heated grips and seat that I am managing with just an unlined jacket and shirt down to 5 or 6 degrees without too much discomfort - admittedly the journeys have been mostly less than an hour.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 398 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

@SimonD seen as though you can manage on the RT I would try the auxiliary socket and see if it works

If it draws too much power it will trip out until the bike is switched off and then back on again

The auxiliary socket is rated at 10 amps max
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

EasyRider wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:17 am You are wearing the wrong winter gear if you need a heated layer. As i have said, i'm on blood thinners and i do feel the cold more since i've been on them. I was told about the RST Parragon 6 jacket and trousers and how good they are at keeping the body warm. I ended up buying 2 jackets, a 2XL & 3XL. The 2XL i wear without the liner and the 3XL with the liner. I only wear the 3XL if its been a very cold clear night. We go out at 8am in the mornings for about 6 hours. I have even found i get to warm with the 3XL jacket with liner fitted. If you are not to far from me i will happily let you try my jacket out for a day or two.
Each to their own, been riding for over 50 years continuously, have been blood biking for over 9 years, think I am able to understand what works for me and makes me comfortable on a bike. My kit is either Rukka or BKS made to measure, which I had during my professional ridding career. I choose not to wear a liner and use a very thin base layer and have my heated jacket on a low setting if temps are around 1 0r 2 legs, if above, just don't switch the jacket on and used it as a liner. Crack on wearing what you want, but there an awful lot of riders who are getting it wrong according to you.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Casbar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:32 pm but there an awful lot of riders who are getting it wrong according to you.
Yep, more money that sence. bikers are getting soft as its now a hobby and not a way of life anymore.