Ideal tankbag R1200RT LC?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
SweRT

Ideal tankbag R1200RT LC?

Post by SweRT »

Still a few months waiting for spring and this year's first tour, at least in our surroundings but it also means some more time for skiing to plan for the next Summer's longer tours. Tankbag, what are your thoughts.  Buy the OEM LC Rucksack (somewhat small) or any other alternative. Waterproof, lock to lock issues, and other pros and cons, everything of interest and of course a photo of your bike with the bag you are pleased with
Howdy!
guest2360

Re: Ideal tankbag R1200RT LC?

Post by guest2360 »

The proper BMW tank bag is a nice bit of kit and you wont end up with any unwanted marks on the tank. Definitely waterproof and a good size at 11 ltrs. Having said that, if you have the standard top box fitted you can carry a lot of kit, all securely.. I had a tank bag on one of my earlier RTs but after only one tour sold it.  I tour Europe 2 up  every year and seem to have plenty of storage space in the 2 panniers and top box.     
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: The proper BMW tank bag is a nice bit of kit and you wont end up with any unwanted marks on the tank. Definitely waterproof and a good size at 11 ltrs. Having said that, if you have the standard top box fitted you can carry a lot of kit, all securely.. I had a tank bag on one of my earlier RTs but after only one tour sold it.  I tour Europe 2 up  every year and seem to have plenty of storage space in the 2 panniers and top box.   
Fully agree with RTman10,  the BMW tank bag is truly a good bit of well made kit    8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Budman

Post by Budman »

The BMW bag is very nice but also very expensive. Ive looked around a bunch and Ive about decided on a Wolfman bag. I like the way it fits on the bike and Im very partial to the map pocket. Ann and I went to Asheville NC today and I missed not having the tankbag. We had plenty of room in the topcase for all our stuff but I like the convenience of the tankbag.

Others have used a variety of bags but I like the looks of the Wolfman.

Bud 
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I use the Wunderlich elephant bag. When I change the bike I just get a new yoke. Excellent kit!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I don't like the straps/yokes etc. that go with most tank bags.  On my Multistrada I had an SW Motech Engage bag, using their quick-release EVO ring.  The ring just bolts directly over the fuel filler ring, using four longer bolts and the bag simply clips/unclips to it.

Looks like the bag will work perfectly on the LCRT without even having to bother with a new BMW-specific ring.

Mind you, I bough the small top box for everyday use so I'm not sure that I'll bother with the tank bag at all...

Budman

Post by Budman »

Well, I cant find a bag to look at anywhere around here so I ordered the Wolfman Ranier bag from Revzilla. Ill post some pictures when I get it mounted after it comes in. Not sure how to post pictures but Im sure I can learn.
The Ranier bag has toughen space and is expandable if necessary. I dont expect that expansion to be needed.
If it doesnt work out I can send it back. They are good about returns.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Thanks to all for your wise comments.
Current score;  OEM BMW 2  - After Market 3.
Yes, I have the fully featured 49 liter top box, but I still believe that we will need some extra storage space for our coming long tours.  Prefer also to have one bag that easily can be removed when leaving the Bike during breaks
Kari
:)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

The `BM' one,  - handy for maps / toll tickets / sandwiches / Carlsberg and spare socks !!  just unclips when you need to refuel    8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

SW Motech Bags Connection City Bag with Evo tank ring
Attachments
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budman

Post by Budman »

My Wolfman Ranier bag came today and I have mounted it on the bike. Not sure is this is going to work sending the picture as this is my first time trying to post one.

Its not as sleek as my Touratech that was on the2012 but this holds more and so far Im pretty pleased. Im not wild about the straps but its the only way to mount this type of bag. So far so good. Ill let you know more as I get miles on this thing. The map pocket could be larger but that wooud increase the width and that probably would be a burden.   
Attachments
IMG-20150121-00284.jpg
swegin

Post by swegin »

Also just got the SW Motech Bag for my 2015.  I think this is going to a great bag.  Big plus is that you can locate how far forward or back you prefer the bag to be centered by where you attach the bag lock to the actual tank bag. 

Good storage pockets and the bag seems very well constructed.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I feel the need for a tank bag for when we're touring and somewhere convenient to carry all the "bits and pieces".
I went to Winding Roads in Melbourne and saw the SW Motec and FAMSA bags.
I preferred the ring fixing of the SWM but preferred the FAMSA bag as it had a detachable map case that could be fitted separately.
But the FAMSA fixing was strapped onto the tank.
I know I could always remove the fixing when not using the bag but then it's inconvenient when I do want to use it.
Might have a look at the Givi bags.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

barryj wrote: I feel the need for a tank bag for when we're touring and somewhere convenient to carry all the "bits and pieces".
I went to Winding Roads in Melbourne and saw the SW Motec and FAMSA bags.
I preferred the ring fixing of the SWM but preferred the FAMSA bag as it had a detachable map case that could be fitted separately.
But the FAMSA fixing was strapped onto the tank.
I know I could always remove the fixing when not using the bag but then it's inconvenient when I do want to use it.
Might have a look at the Givi bags.

SW Motech do a detachable map case that fits all their tank bags.  I know because I have one!