Long post - Thinking about switching to Versys 1000 / R1250 RT ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spitchz

Long post - Thinking about switching to Versys 1000 / R1250 RT ?

Post by Spitchz »

Hello to all riders,

I'm new to this forum and it is my first post here :thumb:
I currently own a Versys 650 LT SE 2020, but more 2 up rides to come, so...

I've been thinking about changing my Versys 650 LT SE, and I've come down to two options:
Versys 1000 LT SE 2023/2024 or BMW R1250 RT 2023/2024

I know, there is a big difference between the two. And we always hear about the famous RT.

My main question: is it worth the difference in price between the Kawasaki and the BMW?
I read a lot about it, and overall, the majority of RT owners are very satisfied. In my area, dealers don't allow to test ride the bikes, so I can only sit on the bike in the store.

So my questions may changes over time, when I'll get the chance to demo ride the two bikes.

It is why I'm searching for riders who have owned the Versys 1000 LT SE and the R1250 RT.
Ideally riders who rode them for at least a year, not only a test ride.

My Versys 650 is the only bike I own, I ride it as often as possible. Go to work, small commute to the stores, daily ride, 2-3 days trip.
Last year, my wife began as pillow and we have a great time riding 2 up. Roughly, 60% solo time and 40% with her.
The Versys 650 is still not that bad 2 up, but it has not the best suspension and it shows at the end of the day.
I have changed the seat to a Sargent Cycle, have the Shoodabeen's ECU flash, changed for a bigger windshield and added heated grips.

But at times, passenger and luggage, if I need to accelerate while going uphill, it can be tricky at times.
We plan to do more and longer multiple days trip, so these are what we are looking for the next bike.

Must have
- More comfort than the Versys 650 (electronic suspension is better on the RT? I read great things about para and telelever too)
- Not too heavy
- Easy to ride in twisties
- Long range tank fuel
- More torque & power than the Versys 650
- Upright or near upright position
- Long term reliability
- Sides and top cases
- Good wind protection, without being too hot in summer.
- Good view from the pillow, without sacrificing wind protection
- Heated grips

Good to have - Do I really need it?
- Low center of gravity (my wife got the trick to jump in/out of the bike, but a little frustrating when we are tired)
- No chain maintenance (negative point: BMW shaft drive problems and need to repair at our cost around 60 000 km)
- Cruise control to relax hands on highway
- Reasonable maintenance cost (I'm not really interested to do it all by myself, so I only do chain maintenance and cables lubrication)

Questions
- Is the RT worth the difference in price compared to the Versys 1000 (performance, comfort, quality, long term reliability)?

Of course, you are welcome to suggest another bike if you think it can fulfill my "Must have".

Thanks to all who read until the end, I appreciate your feedback.
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Re: Long post - Thinking about switching to Versys 1000 / R1250 RT ?

Post by davidr8 »

Spitchz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:55 am Hello to all riders,

I'm new to this forum and it is my first post here :thumb:
I currently own a Versys 650 LT SE 2020, but more 2 up rides to come, so...

I've been thinking about changing my Versys 650 LT SE, and I've come down to two options:
Versys 1000 LT SE 2023/2024 or BMW R1250 RT 2023/2024

I know, there is a big difference between the two. And we always hear about the famous RT.

My main question: is it worth the difference in price between the Kawasaki and the BMW?
I read a lot about it, and overall, the majority of RT owners are very satisfied. In my area, dealers don't allow to test ride the bikes, so I can only sit on the bike in the store.

So my questions may changes over time, when I'll get the chance to demo ride the two bikes.

It is why I'm searching for riders who have owned the Versys 1000 LT SE and the R1250 RT.
Ideally riders who rode them for at least a year, not only a test ride.

My Versys 650 is the only bike I own, I ride it as often as possible. Go to work, small commute to the stores, daily ride, 2-3 days trip.
Last year, my wife began as pillow and we have a great time riding 2 up. Roughly, 60% solo time and 40% with her.
The Versys 650 is still not that bad 2 up, but it has not the best suspension and it shows at the end of the day.
I have changed the seat to a Sargent Cycle, have the Shoodabeen's ECU flash, changed for a bigger windshield and added heated grips.

But at times, passenger and luggage, if I need to accelerate while going uphill, it can be tricky at times.
We plan to do more and longer multiple days trip, so these are what we are looking for the next bike.

Must have
- More comfort than the Versys 650 (electronic suspension is better on the RT? I read great things about para and telelever too)
- Not too heavy
- Easy to ride in twisties
- Long range tank fuel
- More torque & power than the Versys 650
- Upright or near upright position
- Long term reliability
- Sides and top cases
- Good wind protection, without being too hot in summer.
- Good view from the pillow, without sacrificing wind protection
- Heated grips

Good to have - Do I really need it?
- Low center of gravity (my wife got the trick to jump in/out of the bike, but a little frustrating when we are tired)
- No chain maintenance (negative point: BMW shaft drive problems and need to repair at our cost around 60 000 km)
- Cruise control to relax hands on highway
- Reasonable maintenance cost (I'm not really interested to do it all by myself, so I only do chain maintenance and cables lubrication)

Questions
- Is the RT worth the difference in price compared to the Versys 1000 (performance, comfort, quality, long term reliability)?

Of course, you are welcome to suggest another bike if you think it can fulfill my "Must have".

Thanks to all who read until the end, I appreciate your feedback.
If it were me I'd look for a good used late model RT. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
The late model bikes do not have the much talked about final drive issues the earlier years had.
Maintenance will be more than a Japanese bike if you have the dealer do everything. But it won't be a lot more. In reality the RTs are bulletproof bikes
As to your other questions, yes the RT really is that good. All day comfort, loads of power, heated grips, cruise, and more depending on the option packages. It's an astonishingly capable all-rounder.
Shuswaper
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Post by Shuswaper »

Spitchz , your questions are reasonable and warrant much response.
I have had many bikes in my life, since 1969 in fact, so I just gotta say a few words.
While I have enjoyed much in the way of Japanese reliability, there have been the occasional recalls, and minor issues nonetheless.
All the brands in the way of naked, sport-touring and touring ( I still have a GL1800 Air Bag ), I finally decided to bite the bullet with the purchase of a '23 RT in base model Alpine White. And I am glad I did !
What has impressed me the most is the ride quality...suspension and handling are superb. The bike feels a lot lighter than it is because of the low center of gravity. Not to mention, fit and finish are second to none.
BTW, my dealer had a Demo to let me ride, and that test run sold me !
My bike is meant for solo riding only....my only regret is, I took so long in life to buy a Beemer.
I have watched and surveyed the BMW scene for a long time and was keenly made aware of reliability issues through various publications. However, things have improved remarkably in that regard, to the extent that I was confident in my purchase.
Yes, you will pay more, but some things in life are just worth the price...good luck with your decision Spitchz.
Clem
Bike Model and Year: K1600GA、1290SAS、1250GSA、
United States of America

Post by Clem »

The gearbox of the VERSYS1000 is terrible. The suspension is soft and has no support. Many of the bikes I have ridden , but Kawasaki's gearbox gives me the worst feeling.
I have ridden VERSYS650 for a long time before. Its only shortcoming is the ABS system.