General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Andybzx9r
Bike Model and Year: 2022
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Adaptive cruise control

Post by Andybzx9r »

Do you think adaptive cruise control is worth the extra on the 2021 model?
Does it work particularly well on a bike ?
Any info greatly appreciated.
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: Adaptive cruise control

Post by RTs4me »

My current bike (2023 model) has ACC. I bought the bike as ex-demo, so I had no influence over the specification. I've had 'ordinary' cruise control on several previous bikes, but this is my first with ACC.

It works well, keeping a safe distance and accelerating/decelerating smoothly. I like it, but I'd add a few comment for you to consider:

1-The BMW configurator currently lists ACC as a £500 option. That's about 2.5% of the total cost of a new LE-spec RT. However, I wouldn't expect a used bike to be £500 more expensive because of it.
2-I rarely use the cruise control in the UK. There just doesn't seem to be much opportunity. Most of my UK riding is on A-roads and rural twisty routes. Our motorways are too crowded and busy and poor lane discipline from other road users. I do use it on long European autobahn stints, to give my throttle hand a rest. Seems to be much more useful there. It's usefulness depends on your type of usage I suppose.
3- It's another electronic gadget which may possibly go faulty at some point in time...

If I was buying a used bike and it had ACC, I'd consider that a bonus, but if it didn't, I wouldn't be put off and would buy on condition/mileage/history, rather the the presence or absence of ACC.
NoGoodID
Bike Model and Year: 2023 1250RT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by NoGoodID »

I like the Adaptive Cruise and think it works well at recognizing cars/trucks, and then smoothly adjusting your speed accordingly. Note that I said “cars/trucks”. The adaptive cruise does not do a good job at recognizing other motorcycles when riding in the traditional staggered formation. So if left to its own devices, the adaptive cruise would ride right up to and past the motorcycle in front (and to the side) of you. If the other motorcycle is directly in front of you and not staggered, adaptive cruise will recognize it and adjust your speed accordingly.

Whether it’s worth the money is very subjective, but personally, I would pay for it again (note in the US it comes as part of a larger package of options).
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I've had adaptive cruise control on three cars (all Toyota) and their system does seem to work well on motorways & dual carriageways, if you like sitting in a queue! It's all too easy to suddenly realise, hang on a sec, I've slowed down and been following this car for, for hmm, how long without realising it. It's not that much of an issue once you know about it and you soon learn to pull out to overtake earlier, but I would imagine it'll be much more of an issue on a motorbike as we tend to want to make better progress than cars.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

I like it & believe it works very well. Worth the extra cost.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Do I have it -No.
Do I miss it -No
Do I want it -No
Have it on my car and never use it, does that make me a control freak ,or just old? :lol:
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I have it
Hardly ever use it
Gareth1962
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2021
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Gareth1962 »

I have it and like it when I have used it.
Although don't have the need for it a lot of the time on normal UK roads, motorways if not excessively busy I find it very useful.
2021 R1250RT LE Blue
Andybzx9r
Bike Model and Year: 2022
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Andybzx9r »

Thanks for all 5he comments folks.
I bought a 21 model yesterday and drove it 350 miles home on motorways.
Used the cruise control at times but don’t think I’ll miss not having ACC on her.
Ps what a machine.
Troppo

Post by Troppo »

It is brilliant.

I use it on every ride.