Foot peg lowering kit for RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Re: Foot peg lowering kit for RT

Post by Capt Sisko »

Another one with a smug look on my face for buying a Far East copy and not the well known brand rip off.
If you are going to go down this route a few tips.

1. Watch the Wunlerlich video on how to fit them a couple of times. It's a really good step by step explanation.

2. The footpeg pins that you have to drive out corrode and seized up. Several doses of penetrating oil applied over the preceding days will make it easier, but even then I suspect if your bike is a few years old you'll still end up hitting it with a big hammer & drift. Grease with waterproof grease before reassembly.

3. You'll need a T47 Torx bit (and an extension) to reach the bolt holding the RH footrest plate on. That size didn't feature in any of the sets I had and I had to order one.

4. The return spring for the hinged footrest is a real sod to put back on. The aforementioned video shows it just clipping into place with a little bit of help from screwdriver. Me, I swore & cursed.

4. Mark sure you've got a few spare circlips for the pins. One of mine went ping when I took it off and hasn't been seen since.

5. Lastly, the lowering kit pushes your feet out a little wider. Personally I found this added to the comfort but it does move your feet away from the foot controls. It doesn't seem to matter on the gear lever side, but I found the rear brake lever no longer fell in the right position for my foot. After a bit of assuming I'd just get used to it, I didn't. In the end I ordered a brake lever extender to make it right, and they're not cheap, £60 from N.N. AND because you've added a little height to the brake lever you have to lower it just a little to restore the right height.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Well I never bought a big enough box spanner so that idea is on hold.Im of to Scotland Tuesday and need to get something sorted.Tried allsorts to no avail,then the bulb flickered.I tried the jack handle sleeve,bit flimsy but with a bit of tape and securely clamped on,i give you,,,,,,,,,,bodge MK1

Not a long term fix but if it gets me to Scotland and back its a winner and something to build on :mrgreen:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Capt Sisko wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:19 am
1. Watch the Wunlerlich video on how to fit them a couple of times. It's a really good step by step explanation.

4. The return spring for the hinged footrest is a real sod to put back on. The aforementioned video shows it just clipping into place with a little bit of help from screwdriver. Me, I swore & cursed.

4. Mark sure you've got a few spare circlips for the pins. One of mine went ping when I took it off
It sounds like you were there in the garage with me… what a copper-plated bi*ch it was to do that spring, and how I laughed when I re-viewed that video, plus I never did find the circlip! :lol:
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

burridge01 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:17 pm Well I never bought a big enough box spanner so that idea is on hold.Im of to Scotland Tuesday and need to get something sorted.Tried allsorts to no avail,then the bulb flickered.I tried the jack handle sleeve,bit flimsy but with a bit of tape and securely clamped on,i give you,,,,,,,,,,bodge MK1

Not a long term fix but if it gets me to Scotland and back its a winner and something to build on :mrgreen:
Been out on zee bike and can go up and down the box so much better.Changing boots has also helped,little tweaks should make it spot on :thumb:
Panman40
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

burridge01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:29 am Been out on zee bike and can go up and down the box so much better.Changing boots has also helped,little tweaks should make it spot on :thumb:
When I win the lotto I’m buying an 1800 wing,,. The bike I’ve always wanted!.
Tremmy
Bike Model and Year: 2010 1200 rt
Australia

Post by Tremmy »

G'day just wondering if anyone has a link to the aliexpress footpeg lowering kit for a 2010 1200 RT. Only seem to find them for later models.
Cheers
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »