General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Right hand switch cluster

Post by David. »

When riding with a pillion & coming to a stop, I find it easier & safer to hit the "Kill Switch", keeping hold of both handle bars in the process.

The other reason is, it keeps the power "Switched Live" open for accessories e.g. Autocom, whilst the pillion is getting off the bike.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: When riding with a pillion & coming to a stop, I find it easier & safer to hit the "Kill Switch", keeping hold of both handle bars in the process.

The other reason is, it keeps the power "Switched Live" open for accessories e.g. Autocom, whilst the pillion is getting off the bike.
He has a point.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

DaygloDavid wrote: When riding with a pillion & coming to a stop, I find it easier & safer to hit the "Kill Switch", keeping hold of both handle bars in the process.

That is indeed good to know and I will remember it but since I do reside with a pillion will store the info but good to know.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote: Colette at Roy Pidcock BMW (Warranty Dept.), has confirmed.

There is currently, (don't know for how much longer), a Service Campaign on the multi-function switches for 2009 - 2013 bikes.

If either of the two switches "presents an issue", both may be changed, if when diagnosed, one or other is proved to be faulty.

So, if it ain't broken, they won't replace it.

My understanding is that Recall & Service Campaign work is done whether the bike is under any kind of warranty or not.

Maintaining a "BMW" Warranty & Service History may not guarantee trouble free motorcycling, but probably puts you in the best position if something does go wrong.
The RHS Switch failed when we were in Germany, leaving us stranded at The Eder Dam on a Sunday. BMW kindly paid for us to stay in a Hotel overlooking the Dam for the night, with a view to having the bike recovered to a BMW Dealer in Kassel the next day. Tried to start the bike on Monday morning & "Hey Presto", it started. The Recovery Guy turned up & it was agreed that we would ride to Kassel. The Dealer diagnosed & confirmed the RHS Switch to be the fault, this was duly changed & we were on our way again. The Dealer confirmed that had they had the LHS Switch "in stock", they would have changed both. On return to the UK, a local Dealer has confirmed that the LHS Switch will be change under a current campaign. Will book it in on our return from Norway when the bike will be due a service.