2014 RTP K26 Clutch

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
pathan2
Bike Model and Year: 2014 BMW R1200RTP
United States of America

2014 RTP K26 Clutch

Post by pathan2 »

Hello everyone:

This is my first post/ request. Most of the time, I was able to find answer easily from discussions in here. So here is my issue:

I purchased a 2014 RTP from an auction placed by a City in TX with only 22K miles. They mentioned in their maintenance section that they had changed the clutch recently. Once the bike arrived it sounded great and drove like a charm. I changed engine oil, transmission oil and drained all old fuel and ran fresh through hoses; even though the color looked fine. They had mentioned that the bike was parked for 2 years before they decided to place it in auction. I drove it 2 may be 3 times and clutch felt weird. I brough it home test drove in the neighborhood and it felt fine this time. Next day, took it out again and fo..osh all the power magically disappeared. I was just couple of miles from home so I sort of glided it back home. I checked the hydraulic line and disassemble the slave; their was no blockage; but I feel that I should flush and replace the mineral oil. While working on slave cylinder, I noticed no oil visible in glass window. Which I found it to be just below the glass line. Let's say that is about a quart missing from freshly replaced oil. There is no serious leakage and a missing quart of oil in just 2-3 local drives is a dilemma. My assumption is that the main seal has cracked from all that sitting around and masters of dealer used by the city probably never actually replaced the seals when they replaced the clutch at 11K miles (Yes; 11K miles, I sent a request though FOIA to city attorney and received all maintenance records on this bike).

Secondly, I have a feeling that I eventually will have to get to the clutch to fix it. I'm an RT guy and maintained many RTs in the past and also worked on my brother's 2013 as well but never had to replace a clutch. I know that I will have to split the bike apart from middle. Can someone guide me to a good source where I can find suggestions to do it without making too much mess. Weather is warming up in Virginia and I want to do it now so I don't loose too many nice riding days. Also, if my theory is correct, will I have to replace everything or I can salvage parts? I appreciate any suggestion or guidance.

Happy Riding