Serious lack of tie points on RT2014

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Spencert231

Serious lack of tie points on RT2014

Post by Spencert231 »

i don't have a top box yet.  However twice I have needed to travel several hundred mile with my load shifting due to in secure tie/anchor points. What do you guys use to secure the load outside of top box and panniers? :clap:  I noticed on another thread a pillion "flatbed" rack that fits astride the back seat of the RT but I can't seem to find one in Europe anyone know where I can get one?
stelyn

Re: Serious lack of tie points on RT2014

Post by stelyn »

Noticed  a larger  BMW  RT `Top Box'  on Ebay with no bids as yet, might be worth emailing the seller and make an offer- you never know

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Motorrad- ... 3cf0e84b7a
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its a 2005-2013 42ltr box.  Must have been repainted for some reason as they only come  in silver and black.  Lot heavier than the current box which is the same size. Obviously no central locking or brake light option. Will fit the 2014 bike.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Its a 2005-2013 42ltr box. 
RTman10, you right on the time frame .  The `Seller' mentions on his other item ( pannier protectors ) that his Bike was a 2010      Hows the bottle of `Napoleon' lasting out  !!! 
Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

She's just gone to get me one.  Not a bottle just a glass.  Looks like its warming up a bit next week.  I better try drying out a bit
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: .  Looks like its warming up a bit next week.  I better try drying out a bit
4c at the moment down here in Kent but expected 7c on Sunday, so will be riding out, still have to be careful though on the back roads, how's the weather up your end of the country    8) 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Roads are all damp covered in a black layer of salt. Lovely. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: i don't have a top box yet.  However twice I have needed to travel several hundred mile with my load shifting due to in secure tie/anchor points. What do you guys use to secure the load outside of top box and panniers? :clap:  I noticed on another thread a pillion "flatbed" rack that fits astride the back seat of the RT but I can't seem to find one in Europe anyone know where I can get one?
Never seen one this side of the pond but have seen some home made options.  Using a top box adaptor from Kappa or the like, you can easily bolt  a flatbed to them made out of ply or even alloy.  Give you a very secure mounting which can be quickly attached/detached. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: Never seen one this side of the pond but have seen some home made options.  Using a top box adaptor from Kappa or the like, you can easily bolt  a flatbed to them made out of ply or even alloy.  Give you a very secure mounting which can be quickly attached/detached.
Thanks RTman10 but I have been renovating for six years and improvising with the "dream bike" is not an option. I mention the renovation as everyday I find botched work that no school would have taught and I end up wasting time (learning) how to do a proper job, so if the right kit exists. I know one exists for the GS but not seen one for RT. But thanks all the same for your help.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I know a guy who has a 2013 GS LC, not sure of the exact model, but when he removes the rear seat, it reveals some sort of rack/carrier.

Just a thought, are any of the parts compatible with the RT LC.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: I know a guy who has a 2013 GS LC, not sure of the exact model, but when he removes the rear seat, it reveals some sort of rack/carrier.

Just a thought, are any of the parts compatible with the RT LC.
No buts only work on GS.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thank you.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

So much stuff out there for the GS and so little in relative terms for the RT. Maybe someone ought to tell Herr BMW that some of us do more miles in a year than some GS/GSA in three years. But I have the overriding feeling he wants us all to buy a top box
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Spencert231 wrote:But I have the overriding feeling he wants us all to buy a top box.
Or a GS/GSA.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Or a GS/GSA.
[/quote

Yeah, I agree mind you the GSA is a nice looking bike but I believe I made the right decision so will stick with Arty. I may even get a chance to ride in the next week there is a few days of warm weather forecasted.